Computer Help forum

Help making a gaming desktop worth £600 ($900)

by Irvine92 / May 29, 2013 8:52 AM PDT

Hey guys I write on the forum earlier asking about if the computer I made was good but I think it is over priced with the budget I have,
I was just wondering if any one could help make me a gaming desktop worth 600 pound/900 dollars
I would like it to run games such as Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 on ultra graphics with it running on more then 60fps with ease and to play rome 2 total war which is coming out soon on medium/high graphics on 60fps if possible.
I dont know much about computers but I have a friend who can build them who has told me to get the parts and he'll build it. Your help would be greatly appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help making a gaming desktop worth £600 ($900)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help making a gaming desktop worth £600 ($900)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
How will you get more than 60FPS today?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2013 9:26 AM PDT

I'm seeing many monitors connected with HDMI so how would you get past 60?

As to the other question, what do you have now? Maybe all it needs is a good video card.

Collapse -
How will you get more than 60FPS today?
by Irvine92 / May 29, 2013 9:36 AM PDT

thanks for the reply, but i dont understand your question, does monitors determine how many frames per second you get when playing a game?

and I currently have a desktop which is on its way out so looking into getting a brand new desktop

Collapse -
In the case of HDMI, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2013 9:40 AM PDT

Here's the list I use when selecting a video card.,3107.html

And I'm sure you've read the following.
"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. ",3106-4.html

So in just 2 links you have a recipe for your new budget gamer.

Collapse -
by Irvine92 / May 29, 2013 9:48 AM PDT

Thanks for that bob that has helped me out a lot is the any more links you recommend me reading which will help me out more

Collapse -
Not really. But tips.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2013 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Don't get sucked into things that don't pay off. Examples are sound cards and those network game cards. Try the onboard solution first.

And don't skimp on the power supply Watts. If you calculate it needs 300 Watts that gets me to write you want a 600 Watt single rail PSU. The 100% spare is for aging and a future drive or such.

Finally, avoid small cases. I know it's tempting but for gaming, cooling is cool.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?