Question

Help! Major problems with HP compaq laptop!

Oct 2, 2011 4:42PM PDT

Hi!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help! Major problems with HP compaq laptop!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help! Major problems with HP compaq laptop!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: problems with laptop
Oct 2, 2011 5:45PM PDT

Seems like it's a hardware problem. The screeching could be the power supply or the hard disk. And it seems it needs another keyboard.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to forget about reviving it and buy another one.

Kees

- Collapse -
Thanks Kees for your quick reply!
Oct 2, 2011 10:42PM PDT
Unfortunately, my friends cannot afford it and we'll have to wait and see till we get a good deal!

It would be really great if I could salvage it! Happy

I think the screeching sound seems to be coming from the hard disk. But it seems to boot fine except for the keyboard and sticking to the first option issue.

So if you have any other suggestions that'd be great!
- Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like hardware issues to me.
Oct 3, 2011 1:29AM PDT

I'd replace the keyboard and while doing that see if I can narrow down the screech to drive or power. If it's power you replace the motherboard.

If i was drivers a restore to factory would clear that up.
Bob

- Collapse -
How do I do that?
Oct 3, 2011 6:20AM PDT

Can you tell me how I can do that, Bob? I don't want to mess up!

- Collapse -
I offered a few ideas.
Oct 3, 2011 6:25AM PDT

The restore to factory procedure is usually at the maker's web site.

As to repairs, there are fine books and courses on that if web content doesn't make sense to you.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info