Mac OS forum

General discussion

HELP! Mac OS X 10.4.11 internet issue

I have sought help from Apple and got no solution so I am desperate for help here!

My Macbook Pro is with the Mac OS X 10.4.11
I stopped using Firefox because pop-ups
Safari is now starting to have the same issue

First pop-up was: "Windows Security Alert"
"Warning Potential Spyware Operation! Your computer is making unauthorized copies of your system and internetfiles. Run full scan now to pervent any unauthirised access to your files! Click YES to download spyware remover"

Then the following along with other versions of these website addresses popped up as separate yet blank webpages:
results.google-analytics.com
results.gugle.com
upperuper.com

I have spoken to Apple and got no help except to reset the block pop-up windows option by, canceling the block pop up windows option, turn off the computer, turn on the computer and then turn on the block pop-up windows option.

These programs have been no help:
MacScan,
MacCleanse,
iAntiVirus Free Edition
iServices Trojan Removal Tool
DNSChanger Removal Tool
The Achaean

I am a doctoral student using the internet for research on a daily basis. Please help! Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Mac OS X 10.4.11 internet issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Mac OS X 10.4.11 internet issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Those popups are a nuisance

In reply to: HELP! Mac OS X 10.4.11 internet issue

but really do not mean anything.

Especially the "Windows Security Alert" one

You do not have a virus so all those apps that you have been trying will do nothing for you.

Take a look at Safari > Preferences > Advanced and make sure that there is a check mark in the Block Popup windows option.

Meanwhile, I'll take a look for third party blockers

P

Collapse -
Pop ups help

In reply to: Those popups are a nuisance

The block pop-up option was the first thing checked. Apple said that all that could be done was to disconnect block pop-up, turn off the computer, then connect block pop-up as soon as possible. Its pop up that doesn't pop up on a different page. It pops up on the webpage I am reading and using. I know it is not a virus, just a pop up. Its beyond annoying. I can take a picture of the computer screen when it happens if that helps to visualize it.
Thanks!

Collapse -
These popups,

In reply to: Pop ups help

do they occur when you move your mouse around the screen?

If you make a pop up go away, can you make it come back by moving the mouse to a certain place on the web page?

If so, these are rollover ads and are the bane of all sane users.

Try this: http://burgersoftware.com/en/safariadblock
it's free
or this:
http://www.culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php for the first part and
http://www.culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php for the plugin
Pith Helmet is a plugin for SIMBL and it blocks ads.
It's not free

Let us know how you get on

P

Collapse -
pop ups help

In reply to: These popups,

Thank you for the information. I will try it out. The pop-up is visible when a particular website is open and it is only at certain times, times that I can predict. On safari or firefox, if I pull up the right website, the popup message will be a small screen that shows in the middle of the webpage and the webpage is dimmed in the background automatically so that the pop-up really catches your eye. I know about the mouse movement and it being a trigger. I wish it were that simple. This one is just beyond annoying and Apple Tech just doesn't seem to understand how intrusive it is.

Collapse -
adblock and pith helmet

In reply to: These popups,

I tried to download the Safari AdBlock but it wasn't possible because I don't have the option to choose an "Open in 32-bit mode".
Pithhelmet didn't work because it wasn't for the snow leopard even though it says on the website that it applies to snow leopard.
There is nothing that accommodates those of us with snow leopard and it would then seem to me that Mac wants up to buy new software.

Collapse -
32bit mode,

In reply to: adblock and pith helmet

Find the Safari application, it should be in your Applications folder.
Right Click it (Control + Click if a single button mouse or trackpad)
Get Info
One of the options in Get Info is "Open in 32bit mode"

Give Adblock a try when you have done that and let us know how you get on.

Bye the way, post the url of an offending site please

P

Collapse -
re:Pop ups help

In reply to: Pop ups help

I am having the exact same issue with my iMac OSX 10.4.11. The Windows Online Protection Tool pop-up and webpages getting redirected. Apple Experts have been no help offering the same types of information that they gave you. Have you been able to get the issue fixed? I'm battling over here.

Collapse -
Oh yeah, one more thing

In reply to: re:Pop ups help

Forge to mention that it happens on both my Firefox and Safari browsers.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.