Windows 7 forum

Question

HELP Lost internet and Microsoft Office

by jaxsdad / October 6, 2014 1:45 PM PDT

I have a hp desktop with windows 7. Up until last nite, everything was fine. I use Google and Norton 360.
Then the following happened:
1. I was getting messages occasionally about "Failed to load the required icudt library".
2. I foolishly (save the nasty comments) loaded down a registry cleaner. When I saw it wanted more info from me, I uninstalled it using normal Windows uninstall.
3, Suddenly I had no Norton.
4. I went to their help line, and a young lady was very helpful. She took control of my system (with my permission) and got Norton reinstalled. She also ran a quick scan which worked fine.
5. Then I asked if she could remove my old "Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security" which has continued to give me messages even though I don't use it.
6. She said she could do that in Safe mode, so she rebooted in Safe Mode, and I could see her trying to uninstall Trend with no luck. She got same msg I do when I try to uninstall it: "Failed to load the required icudt library".
7. Then I lost my connection to her. So I rebooted in regular mode (after finding out that safe mode had been set as the default).
8. AND NOW: I HAVE NO INTERNET. It says no hardware found (my laptop which I'm on is having no problems) AND I CAN'T USE "Microsoft Home and Student 2010: It says "Microsoft Office cannot verify license,......"
9.SO.. Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do. One thing that is do frustrating is not being able to get rid of Trend. If you tell me to take it to a technician, I gladly will and you can close this thread.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP Lost internet and Microsoft Office
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP Lost internet and Microsoft Office
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Please Try Using System Restore First
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 8, 2014 9:14 AM PDT

First, use System Restore to attempt to take your computer back to when it was working correctly. Click on Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore. When SR opens, select the option for a "Different Restore Point", then select a point which is BEFORE the problems occurred. Follow the prompts to restore the computer and allow the computer to restart.

After the computer restarts, use the Trend Micro Uninstall Tool at the link below. Click on the link to immediately start the download dialogue window, download the file to your desktop and run it. (Click Yes when the User Account Control window appears. Read and accept the License Agreement, then click Next.Click Install. Click Uninstall software.Type the characters in the field provided.Click Uninstall. Wait for the uninstallation to complete.Click Yes to restart the computer.)

Note: After the restart, the uninstallation should be complete. It should uninstall Trend Micro for you.

http://solutionfile.trendmicro.com/solutionfile/Titanium-2014/Ti_70_win_global_en_Uninstall_hfb0001.exe

Once you've uninstalled Trend Micro, if you still don't have the internet and restarting doesn't allow the computer to find and install the driver for your network adapter (you didn't say whether you're using a wireless or wired internet connection), then you'll need to visit the HP site, use your computer model number, then download and install the most current network adapter for your computer.

In addition, if MS Office isn't working as desired, then try reinstalling it using the installation CD which you should have from the original install of the product.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by jaxsdad / October 8, 2014 12:12 PM PDT

Grif - I appreciate the thorough reply. I will follow up and let you know how it goes. You have to forgive my ignorance of PCs. I worked on large computers for 26 years, but now that I'm retired, I just don't have the time to learn the 'innards' of PCs. I use them as a tool and for fun. Clay

Collapse -
(NT) Let Us Know How It Goes
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2014 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Grif
Collapse -
will do
by jaxsdad / October 9, 2014 1:42 PM PDT

It will be Monday before I try the fix. I am going to a lake this weekend where an older lady has 3 acres on a lake. We have lots to do for her before Winter sets in here in MN.

Collapse -
Can't restore System
by jaxsdad / November 6, 2014 9:42 AM PST

Grif, after getting over a couple of bouts of crud and going to see my daughter, I finally got back to what you advised. Something obviously is screwed up big time. When I select 'Recovery' and then click 'Open System Restore', I get the following message: "System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system. A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information (0x80042302)" When I tried to view 'Event Logs', I get another message saying "Event Log Service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running". I have removed all important data from my hp desktop (I'm using my Toshiba laptop which uses a router on the same network as my hp). Is there a way to completely reload the operating system from scratch? I appreciate your help with this. I may just have to take it to a computer store in town which has done very good work for me in the past for my laptop. Clay

Collapse -
Then You Still Have A Couple Of Options
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 7, 2014 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Can't restore System

First, you'll need to have backups of all your important files, documents, pictures, etc. Once that's done, most HP computers have a hidden recovery partition with the ability to perform a complete format and reinstall of the operating system and all programs and drivers back to its factory state. I don't see where you gave us the model number of the computer but you can visit the HP.com website and do a search on the site for the procedures. Generally, it's pressing the F10 or F11 key, immediately after starting the computer, to bring up the recovery options screen. Following the prompts will cause the main C: drive to be reformatted and all things taken back to its original condition. You can then use your backup discs to place your important files back on the machine.

If you can't get the hidden recovery partition to function, then you'll need to contact HP to obtain recovery discs for the machine. They usually aren't too expensive. The recovery discs will also wipe the drive and take things back to the original state.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.