Cameras forum

General discussion

HELP!! Looking for an ultracompact with these requirements

Ok i have done a ton of research and still find myself confused with all the digicam lingo so i figured if i tell you exactly what i want in a camera someone can suggest one that has all the things in my criteria.

REQUIRED: Ultracompact, 6-7MP, Image Stabalization, Action/Sports Mode, Different Scene Modes and Color Modes (like to make pics black and white, etc), Movies with sound and preferably the ability to use zoom in the movie mode, 4x optical zoom, good in low light and indoors, and lastly GOOD IMAGE QUALITY!!

I hope you all can help as i have found all of the requirements in a Panasonic FX3 but the image quality is not that good...it looks grainy (I guess that means it has alot of noise?)

My range is $350 or less and I will be using the camera to take pictures of friends and family indoors and outdoors and some nights at the club so performing well in low light is essential as well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!! Looking for an ultracompact with these requirements
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!! Looking for an ultracompact with these requirements
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Requirements

In reply to: HELP!! Looking for an ultracompact with these requirements

There are no ultra compact camera that meet all of your requirements.

Since you want an ultra compact that works well in low light, you are down to a choice of four cameras.

I know they don't meet all the other requirements but here are your choices:

Fujifilm F30, F31fd, F20, F40fd

They may not be considered Ultra Compact, because they are about 1.1 inch thick.

Those are the best compact cameras for low light.
There are other cameras much better in low light but they are not small cameras and they are much more expensive.

Here is a comparison of specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=fuji_finepixf30%2Cfuji_finepixf31fd%2Cfuji_finepixf20%2Cfuji_finepixf40fd&show=all

Collapse -
Thanx for reply,,,one more question

In reply to: Requirements

What do you think about the canon sd 700 or 800? Do you think these two cameras will atleast have most of my requirements? If i had to narraow it down i'd want good image quality, 4x optical zoom, and video with sound

Collapse -
Canon SD700IS - SD800IS

In reply to: Thanx for reply,,,one more question

Collapse -
sorry if i am being annoying...

In reply to: Canon SD700IS - SD800IS

sorry to ask so much but this is the most help anyone has tried to give me so i really appreciate it. i just dont understand all the digicam lingo. i wanted to know about the movies on the sd700/sd800...i have a 1G memory card so how long will i be able to record for? and lastly what are your thoughts on the panasonic dmc-fx01? im just trying to make sure the canon is worth buying over the fxo1

Collapse -
Digital Cameras

In reply to: sorry if i am being annoying...

Both Canon models have the same specifications for video recording time:

The recording time depends upon what video size/speed you select.
For 1-gig memory card:
640x480 at 30fps (frames per second) is about 8.3 minutes.
320x240 at 30fps is about 23.3 minutes.
320x240 at 15fps is about 46 minutes

Here is a link to Specifications for the SD800IS:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14227

Here is a link to Specifications to all Canon Digital Cameras:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

Canon and Panasonic

The Panasonic FX01 is a popular camera and competes directly with the two Canon cameras.

If you read any review of Panasonic cameras it becomes a common theme that Panasonic has noisy CCD sensors. They buy their CCD sensors from Matsushita (the parent company of Panasonic).

Their sensors are noisier than the Sony sensors that most camera companies use.
Fujifilm makes their own CCD sensors and they are the least noisy of all the CCD sensors.

Pictures taken in low light have to use a high ISO settings to try to get enough light to take the picture. The higher the ISO setting, the more the noise.

Consider a small inexpensive table radio. It sounds fine until you crank up the volume to the highest setting and you get distortion.
The ISO setting is much like that table radio volume control.
Except that the ISO setting is a volume control for light.
Crank it up all the way and you get noise. (visible distortion).

Within the last year you see lots of camera claiming to have ISO settings as high as 800 and 1600.
What they don't tell you is that all they did was make it possible to turn up the volume on light even more....and it generates even more noise. So you can use the ISO setting of 1600....but you won't like the results. But if you go under the theory of "better a noisy photo than no photo" you might be happy.

You first stated that you wanted to use the camera in low light situations.....That is the one weak point of the Panasonic FX01.

Here is a comparison of specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd700is%2Ccanon_sd800is%2Cpanasonic_dmcfx01&show=all

There are green links just under the photos of the cameras.
One is for a full review and the other takes you to sample photos.

Further down the columns, you find red stars.
These are the ratings of the camera by owners of the cameras.
To read what the owners have to say.....click the link right under the red stars.

Collapse -
thanks soooo much

In reply to: Digital Cameras

thank u sooo much snapshot2 you have been a BIG help....yes the panasonic produces photos (in my opinion) that look really grainy almost sand like and the only time they look smooth is when u zoom in on the picture...yuck! i am a procrastinator at actually printing out my pictures so i atleast want them to look good when you scroll through them in the camera....ok well i have made up my mind i am going to go with the canon sd700 or 800, not sure which one but ill leave that up to how it feels and looks when i see it in person...as a matter of fact i think i will get the 800 because it has the wide angle lens and i have alot of friends to take pics of lol...thanks agin snapshot!

Collapse -
To......ICEU....Advertisment deleted.

In reply to: Requirements

Please stop posting advertisements to Uxcell and associated sites.
Advertising is not permitted on this Forum.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.