Cameras forum

General discussion

help! Looking For a New Camera

by Clark Gable1 / February 15, 2007 9:31 AM PST

For the past week i've been looking for a camera to finally make the switch from film to digital. In my quest to find what i want, all i've found was a bunch of companies and a bunch of similar cameras. So i was wondering if any of you had any opinions. I'm looking for a digital thats got the 35mm feel to it. Zooming isnt a big factor to me the farthest i zoom is probabley 20 feet, but image quality is very important. I want a camera that will take a picture and make it look amazing. My price range is only 500 or less. So with that in mind what do you guys suggest. I'v looked at the Panasonic DMC-FZ50, The Fujifilm S9100, and a bunch of others. What do you suggest? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help! Looking For a New Camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help! Looking For a New Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usta Was
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 11:25 PM PST

I know the cameras you are looking for, but they don't make them anymore.

Four years ago, all of the camera makers had some "premium" cameras that were sometimes called "DSLR-like".

Here are some:

Canon Pro1 & G6, Fujifilm S20-Pro, Nikon 8400 & 8700, Olympus C-7070 & C-8080, Sony F828

The last one to go is the Canon G6.

They came out with the G7, which does not measure up to the G6.
You might find a G6 in a camera store, since the G7 only showed up about 6 months ago.

The two cameras you mentioned are about as close to the old Premium cameras that you can get.

Well.... there is the Sony R1, which sells for around $850.
It is as close to a DSLR that you can get....without being a DSLR.
It has the same CCD sensor that is used in DSLR cameras. Which means you have ISO settings of 1600 with practically no noise.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Clark Gable1 / February 16, 2007 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Usta Was

Thanks for your input. It really helped. I just looked at the Sony R1. Now would you think The R1 is better compared to the Fujifilm S9000, or the S6000? I know that the S9000 lacks the whole "picture stabilization"? is that a good or a bad thing?

Collapse -
Digital Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 16, 2007 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Since the Fujifilm S9000 and S6000 use the new Fujifilm super sensor, they also have low noise at their ISO 1600 setting.

All three have sharp lenses.
The larger CCD sensor of the R1 does give their photos a bit more look of quality. But only if you compare photos side by side.

I have an old 10X (non image stabilized) camera and it produces blur free images if you use common sense techniques.

For long zoom shots, always use the viewfinder rather than the LCD.
Your head is steadier than two outstretched arms.

Whenever possible lean against a solid object on long zoom shots.

If possible, use a tripod or rest your camera on a solid surface on long zoom shots.

For shots of 5X and under, you can use the LCD for framing your subject and get blur free photos unless your have problems holding any camera steady.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!