Samsung forum

General discussion

HELP! LN46A950 vs UN46B8000

by scarface8581 / September 28, 2009 8:28 AM PDT

Hi there. I'm hoping to get some input on which set I should get, LN46A950 or the new LED UN46B8000. I'm all about picture quality so the thinness isn't much of a factor. I've read things about uniformity issues with the 8000 since its edge-lit. From what I've read the A950 is back-lit so there isn't that problem. The problem Im having is that the A950 is last years technology and I'd hate to drop that kind of money on dated technology. On the other hand I want a good picture if I'm spending this kind of money. The 8000 has the high contrast ratio which is nice. So which is going to give me the better picture in the long run? I am sooo torn on this and it's driving me crazy. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! LN46A950 vs UN46B8000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! LN46A950 vs UN46B8000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
lol
by timeiswaiting / September 28, 2009 11:05 AM PDT

A950 technology is NOT outdated. In terms of picture performance, the A950 beats the so called 'LED' edge-lit LCD by light years! heh.
Plus, ignore those outrageous dynamic contrast ratio numbers. It's all a marketing hype that Samsung originally started with....

Collapse -
Thank you!
by scarface8581 / September 28, 2009 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: lol

Do you own the A950? AM I correct in that it is a true local dimming back-lit led? I hear the local dimming led tvs produce the better pictre since the bulbs are throughout the back and not just on the edges. I quesationed the contrast ratios myself but I guess I fall for them just like alot of others since its in the description. Unfortnatly for me I can't see them side by side since the A950 is ahrd to find at local retail stores.

Collapse -
np
by timeiswaiting / September 28, 2009 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

Yes the A950 has local-dimming which will definitely offer a much higher contrast ratio (ANSI). I don't own it, but my fried does. It definitely beats the B6/7/8000 let alone my B650...

The best LCD ever produced to date is the Sony XBR8 (also local-dimming) and the A950 is pretty close to the performance of the XBR8.
And it's last years model! So you should definitely get it especially since it's at a low price!

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 29, 2009 7:13 AM PDT

scarface8581,

The UNxxB8500 units will be arriving in the next several months, and will be the 2009 version of the LNxxA950, but with the widgets and DLNA features.

*xx refers to screen size

Hope that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 29, 2009 8:01 AM PDT

scarface8581

Sorry, I was mistaken. The UNxxB8500 LED units released this week, and will be our flagship model this year:

http://tinyurl.com/ycxv965

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung 8500
by scarface8581 / September 29, 2009 8:06 AM PDT

Thank you for the update and help. I do love that they have gone back to the back lit models but the $3600 price I'm seeing is just way too much for me to spend. I'm sure the TV is amazing but I can't afford that.

Collapse -
Samsung 8500
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 1, 2009 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung 8500

scarface8581,

I understand. Just wanted you to have the most up to date information.

Let me know if I can help further.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LN55A950 for $1900
by pegolas / October 27, 2009 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung 8500

Shop around and NEGOTIATE! I was able to get the 46" for $1750 and the 55" as a floor sample with full warranty for $1900 at Best Buy. By far the best screen on an lcd I have ever owned and I see many everyday. It rivals my Pioneer Elite in picture quality, but I wanted LCD for gaming.

Once again, negotiate. You can get a great deal if you work for it. I made the Magnolia center manager at Best Buy an offer for the floor sample and then negotiated down even further. Big box stores want to blow out these panels from their shelves to make room for the new models. What's interesting with Samsung in this respect is that they do not even mention the 950 on their website. As soon as they rolled out the 6000, 7000, and 8000 series, they only reffered to those televisions as LED, no mention of the 950. Likewise, there was no mention of this series on their site under the LCD tab either. This led me to believe that they did not want to confuse their customer's about LED (which they were marketing only in the ultra thin sets).

Find one on a wall and negotiate. Having these television's on display confuses customers and a confused customer is an undecided customer. Find one and make an offer, even at the big box stores.

Good Luck

Collapse -
LMAO
by pegolas / October 27, 2009 4:40 AM PDT

Dated technology? Curious, do you still own a vehicle that has an internal combustion engine? I mean that is sooooo dated and last century's technology that you would not want to be buying because as nice as that little Mercedes SL550 is, it's last year's technology. Everyone in the market for a sports coupe is buying an electric Tesla right?

If you are truly looking for apples to apples, get the best current LED back-lit Samsung, the 8500 series. You can get an ultra slim TV and not have to stare at last year's technology. BTW- I doubt you would be able to see the difference on screen in picture quality between the 8500 and the 950 if you could not see the bezel on either and saw only the screen.

Collapse -
LMAO
by pegolas / October 27, 2009 9:53 AM PDT

Dated technology? Curious, do you still own a vehicle that has an internal combustion engine? I mean that is sooooo dated and last century's technology that you would not want to be buying because as nice as that little Mercedes SL550 is, it's last year's technology. Everyone in the market for a sports coupe is buying an electric Tesla right?

If you are truly looking for apples to apples, get the best current LED back-lit Samsung, the 8500 series. You can get an ultra slim TV and not have to stare at last year's technology. BTW- I doubt you would be able to see the difference on screen in picture quality between the 8500 and the 950 if you could not see the bezel on either and saw only the screen.

Collapse -
LMAO
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 29, 2009 6:45 PM PDT
In reply to: LMAO

pegolas,

In all fairness, some would consider last year's television model to be "dated" when you factor in the fact that 2009 models have advanced Yahoo widgets, whereas the 2008 models do not. I've seen some people lament that the widgets aren't going to be available on the 2008 models, and "if they had known, they'd have waited". Sometimes a feature can be a dealbreaker.

Even in vehicles. Maybe the engines don't change significantly, but we can all agree that they typically get better every year, right? If you're an mp3 player enthusiast, a 3.5mm or adaptable connection in your car for your mp3 player could heavily influence your purchasing decision on a car, particularly if you drive a lot and like music. I often see people worried that they might be missing out on something, and I think that was the spirit of the post.

I appreciate your kind words regarding our panels, though. Always good to hear from an enthusiast. Happy

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.