Mac Applications forum

Question

Help: Links won't print in PDFs from Word 2011 on Mac

by teffieb / June 1, 2012 4:51 AM PDT

Hi. I created an e-Book in MS Word 2011 for Mac and only now see that when I create PDFs (either from within Save As/Export or from the Printer Menu) that it ignores the hyperlinks.

I have looked at many sites and it seems the only answer is the crazy expensive Adobe Acrobat X Pro for Mac (for which there is NO trial).

Any advice????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help: Links won't print in PDFs from Word 2011 on Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help: Links won't print in PDFs from Word 2011 on Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Perhaps MS Word is not the app for creating e-Books.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 1, 2012 11:08 AM PDT

e-books are not just a Word document that is turned into a PDF. There is an e-Book format that applies to them and MS Word does not support it.
Although it is possible to create the source document in Word, there is a fair amount of work to be done before it is ready for running through an app like Calibre to produce the final document.

Alternatively, if you use Apple's Pages, you can create the whole document and export it in e-book format.

If you still want to use Word, take a look at this article:
http://howtowriteshop.loridevoti.com/2010/11/how-to-format-ebook-word/

Good Luck

P

Collapse -
How an I maintain hyperlinks in PDFs from MS Word 2011
by teffieb / June 1, 2012 5:07 PM PDT

Hi. Sorry. I should not have used the term e-Book; that is not the root of my question. Let me try to restate my intended question to everyone

I created an MS Word 2011 document that contains hyperlinks. All hyperlinks are lost when I create the PDF.

How can I retain the hyperlinks in a PDF created from MS Word 2011 docs?

Is there a configuration setting? Is the only solution Adobe Acrobat Pro X for Mac? Is there another Mac PDF creator that fixes this)?

FYI, I am using Mac Word 2011 and Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53).

Thank you -- S

Collapse -
I have been playing with various apps this morning
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 1, 2012 11:16 PM PDT

because your problem was interesting.

Most of the PDF makers only make what is essentially a picture of the document which means that while all the formatting is correct, the links, fill boxes, auto-calc fields are inert.

But, you luck is in. As I mentioned in my first post, Apple's Pages will produce documents in e-pub format.
It will also allow you to export, not print and then save, in PDF format.
When it does that, it leaves the Hyperlink intact!

Hop on over to the App store, icon in the dock, and get yourself a copy of Pages for $19.99 or zip over to the Apple Store and get a complete copy of iWork, Pages/Numbers/Keynote, for the measly sum of $79
This combination of apps can open/export as, Word/Excel/PowerPoint, so unless you are a slave to MS Office, you can do away with it.

Let us know what you finally do

P

Collapse -
Thanks for trying...
by teffieb / June 2, 2012 3:59 AM PDT

I hear what you are saying. I did start with this document in Pages, but I just did not really like it. I changed to MS Word and found a great template, not understanding the implications of this decision. (The document is 16 pages with a LOT of formatting and imbedded images [some with links] and such, think of an image-rich newsletter).

I already have the Pages software and after I realized the challenge with Word and hyperlinks, I tried to import the document into Pages. The results were terrifying. It is not worth the number of hours it would take to get the formatting working in the Pages document. The formatting was just too complex to port into Pages easily. Also, after 5 months working on this, the document is done. It is not worth the 10 hours to get it to look the same in Pages as it already does not in MS Word.

All I really wanted to know from this forum was if there was an alternative to Adobe Acrobat Pro X for creating PDFs that don't strip the hyperlinks from Word 2011 docs... whether that was a configuration in MS Word or another PDF Writer for Mac.

I will just pay for Adobe Acrobat Pro X for Mac and let it go. I do appreciate your time and effort. Thank you -- Stephanie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!