Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

HELP .. Keep Disconnecting

by plcard / February 9, 2007 10:57 PM PST

I purchased a Gateway laptop and went wireless with a RangeMax Netgear router. I was told it was one that would allow me to use it outdoors on the deck, etc.

I cannot keep a connection on the deck or even one room away. Geek Squad has been out going on 3 times to remedy this. First I was told it was my cordless phones which are on the same frequency as the router. I lose connection even when they are disconnected, so that isn't the problem.

Do you have a handy solution to this problem?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP .. Keep Disconnecting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP .. Keep Disconnecting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2007 11:44 PM PST

1. Is the router firmware the latest?
Tell me the version and the router model so I can check.

2. Did you retest with the router on Channel 1? 11?

3. Did you move the router off the floor? On the floor?
Concrete floors could absorb a bit of the signal.

Bob

Collapse -
Hope this HELPS!
by plcard / February 10, 2007 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: The usuals.

In the time it has taken me to get the information for you, I lost connection 2 times. I am getting a blue screen sometimes which the usual crash message. Of course when I send in the report, the answer to the problem is there is no answer, but thanks for sending the information to MS.

The router is a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router. The model #, I think, is WPN824 with V2 after it. So I assume it is version 2.

This equipment was purchased through Best Buy when I got the computer. I would hope there equipment would be up to date.

I paid for Geek Squad to come out and make sure everything was set up properly. They did some things I obviously don't understand, but I would hope they would had retest on the various channels since I haven't the foggiest idea of what you are talking about.

Geek has been out here three times and all I get is "... there is something in that wall causing interference" Apparently my home at one time was a CIA safe house or part of National Security since I can't hold a signal anywhere around my home.

The router sits next to the computer, because that is as far as the wires given me would reach. My home is a wood structure, with vinyl over asbestos siding.

I hope this helps, because I am so discouraged, I'm about ready to toss my mother-in-law out the window along with this laptop so I can have my desktop back. (Just kidding about the M-i-L ... kind of anyway.

Collapse -
Let's try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Hope this HELPS!

1. Firmware.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN824v2.asp notes releases/updates in Sep, 2006 and Nov, 2006. This is something we can't guess on but must look to see if we are current. Geeksquad has no reason to educate owners. Why undermine future income?

2. Channels.

I see you didn't write what you used. So try channel 1 then 11.

3. "The router sits next to the computer"

Then why use WIFI? Hook up the ethernet cable and be happy.

In regards to "I would hope there equipment would be up to date." Sorry, the product is made, placed in a container and floats to here. From there to here someone discovers a bug or need and new firmware is issued. No one is unpacking boxes to update products as new firmware is issued prior to sale.

Bob

Collapse -
No Idea
by plcard / February 11, 2007 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: Let's try this.

I really appreciate your expertise, but some how you missed the "idiot" part of my request. I just went through the website and there is an upgrade which. I am trying to figure out. I don't even remember my name and password.

I read the book, but I can't find channel information. Unfortunately, Geek is coming back. I'll use this information to ask intelligent questions.

Thanks so much for your help. Maybe one day I won't be so stupid and have to rely on others to help... :0(

Collapse -
You need to know I don't rate them too well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2007 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: No Idea
Collapse -
I Think You're Right
by plcard / February 11, 2007 9:38 PM PST

My experience with the Squad has been less than "desirable" to say the least. I think you made the statement that they aren't going to give away secrets when they could be paid for a return visit.

The first guy who came to make sure my router was set up properly and to make sure my computers were running at their very best, spent about an hour here. I didn't say he worked an hour. He was on his cell phone with his girlfriend about every 3 minutes. When they made their return visit, there was another geek.. agent. The first had been put back into the shop at Best Buy. His performance was less than perfect.

I have a friend who now lives in Dallas who is a tech for a private company as well as the USAF. He is coming to visit and I'm hoping he will be able to help ... unless of course I haven't thrown the laptop through a window by that time.

Collapse -
I find that friends do pretty well at this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2007 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: I Think You're Right

They take more interest in the issue than most. In fact I love it when I do this since I may pick up a new tidbit or new clue why people are having issues.

Bob

Collapse -
Just Thinking the Same Thing
by plcard / February 12, 2007 8:44 PM PST

That thought went through my mind when I read answers to the two posts. The last time I posted something it was just you and I. Thanks to everybody who has tried to help this dummy ... me not Bob ... Happy

Collapse -
In addition to what Bob said
by PudgyOne / February 11, 2007 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: No Idea

What ISP are you using?

If Verizon, are you using a Westell Modem/router?

The Westell Modem/router uses the same ip address as the Netgear router.

Have them change the ip address in the Netgear router, LAN settings, to 192.168.7.1

There is no conflict that way.

Rick

Collapse -
ISP
by plcard / February 12, 2007 8:32 PM PST

I may have answered this already, but I am using Cox Communications. I have tried to call them, but apparently they are having trouble, because the wait time has been over 1/2 hour before I hang up.

Thanks for the info. I shall follow through.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.