Alert

Help! Is there an alternative to Comcast?

I hope I'm in the right forum. Please bear with me. I live in a highrise building where the realtors have a contract with Comcast Cable. We are STUCK with using them. Verizon Fios is not available here, (would not pay to have cables put in), nor are we allowed to have the little satellite dishes set up by or outside our windows for Dish TV. Many here are seniors or disabled on fixed income. I am homebound disabled and can not afford to pay for cable and constantly behind long enough to keep paying something on my bill to barely keep from my services being disconnected. I need my internet so I can pay my bills by selling items on eBay and Etsy. (Can't make a living, but the extra $ barely get me by month to month.
I can get internet services using Verizon, but then no TV, if I stop using Comcast. Can anyone suggest alternatives where I can get cable another way? I have been trolling Google trying to find answers and it's just a confusing mess at this point for me to put together a way around this without paying a lot of money.
Any suggestions? Wish there would be dishless satellite TV now. I have a Blue Ray box given to me. Or would a monthly subscription to NetFlix for example with a plug in for my TV maybe? I need help! Anything would be better than what my monthly Comcast bill is. I can afford the internet, but anything else would have to be a rock bottom cost. Thanks for helping, sorry about the long post.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help! Is there an alternative to Comcast?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help! Is there an alternative to Comcast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you considered rabbit ears for TV?

If you went with Verizon for Internet, you could use rabbit ears to get local channels if that would suffice for TV. In my area I can get 17 channels with rabbit ears. I live in a sizable metropolitan area. Of course you wouldn't get any of the cable-only channels that way, but given your budget, it would seem like a possibility. You can buy rabbit ears for $40 to $50, and of course it's just a one time deal with no monthly fee.

Good luck.

- Collapse -
Help! is there an alternative to Comcast?

Thanks for the quick reply. I would have gone the rabbit ear route a long time ago, had I beem satisfied with the limited programming. I am homebound, and don't go out too often, my entertainment is internet and TV. (YES... folks, I DO have a life too, LOL!). I am leaning towards internet TV and being able to watch it on my TV, thus my mention of a plug in with a service such as Netflix. I don't know much how that would work, is the set up easy, will only internet do? Will I have a large choice of channels with internet TV? Cost of a plug in needed to stream to TV? etc.
I should have asked this first, but hoping there was something else out there besides Netfix/BlueRay/plug in I mentioned. Can anyone walk me through the Internet TV questions here? Much appreciated!

- Collapse -
You are kidding..right?

Watching tv is having a life, hehe. But I know what you mean, I am in the same boat. As for OTHER companies, they are all the same after the introductory offering price is over.

For internet tv, why not take a look and see how you like it. Personally, Netflix and the libruary has keep me happy.

- Collapse -
verizon has online TV access

I have double play FIOS, but can watch by online too if I want by going to their site. I'm guessing it's DSL available there, but I think you can get Direct TV from verizon without needing a dish installed.

- Collapse -
Netflix

If you get Verizon internet, ask about the speeds. It should be more than adequate to watch Netflix.

We had FIOS until we moved to a rural area, and now our only choice is Comcast. It is expensive (over $200/mo now with a 2 year contract) and the internet seriously sucks. Our phone service has gone out multiple times too.

I work online with people on the West Coast (I'm in Virginia) and my internet goes out every night a little after 11 pm. I'm on my third router. Comcast swears it does not pinch the bandwidth at night. I seriously need to check with colleagues after 11 pm and sometimes do some work. This has been going on since Feb. 2014. I have no choice or I would pitch everything into the pond and do without TV.

Hope your issue is going to work out for you.

- Collapse -
You can use Dish TV or Directv

As directed by Congress in section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the Federal Communications Commission adopted the Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule concerning governmental and nongovernmental restrictions on viewers' ability to receive video programming signals from direct broadcast satellites ("DBS"), multichannel multipoint distribution (wireless cable) providers ("MMDS"), and television broadcast stations ("TVBS").

The rule is cited as 47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000 and has been in effect since October 14, 1996. It prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to- home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna. The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single family homes.

The rule allows local governments, community associations and landlords to enforce restrictions that do not impair, as well as restrictions needed for safety or historic preservation. In addition, under some circumstances, the availability of a central or common antenna can be used by a community association or landlord to restrict the installation of individual antennas. In addition, the rule does not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association, or jointly by condominium or cooperative owners. Therefore, restrictions on antennas installed in common areas are enforceable.

- Collapse -
Comcast equipment is not good

Hey, Arc. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I had Comcast for about a year. The TV was OK but the telephone/internet was intermittent at best. To their credit Comcast came out six times to repair the problem. Unfortunately, to no avail. I have read about other people having trouble cancelling Comcast services. But they agreed to cancel my bundle with no static when I told them I was not satisfied with their service since they could not fix it.

I switched to AT&T U-verse bundle. So far, so good. Their installer was very good and he re-wired my in-house telephone wiring that Comcast had messed-up. You seem to be on a limited budget (who is not, these days). The prices for each are about the same. I have the slowest internet speed, U200 and cheapest telephone. From what I can gather U-verse uses the original telephone/DSL line so you should be able to get their service. Good luck.

- Collapse -
cut the cord

yep, I am replying to an old thread. there is one other option.

You can consider cutting the cable - though if you are a sports nut, that is not an option. I cut the cord a few years ago and have not regretted it. I got me a cheap walmart computer for 300 bucks, connected it to my tv and had my tv cable turned off. With the computer, I can still watch all the shows I want to watch, though an hour or two after airing. Most of the local stations stream their news and weather so I miss nothing there, and I am currently sitting in my recliner with my wireless keyboard and typing this post on that 42 inch tv screen. finally, best of all, I paid for that computer and wireless keyboard in 5 months by not having to pay a tv cable bill.

anyway that is something to think about.

- Collapse -
HERE IS A SUGGESTION

There is a Clear wire distributor here, In my area. Sometimes it is as slow as dial-up and never delivers the claimed 3 meg speed. However it does work but barely fast enough to stream H.D, I liked the lighted modem that flashes signal strength when you point it in the right direction.Also there is the F.T.A. (free through the air) receivers, cheap and with thousands of stations and countless movie channels. Many. that the cable company receives and bundles for free and charges the customer for them. I have seen the entire satellite systems go for little over one hundred dollars on Ebay with free shipping.Everything included and signal meter as well. Soon Google will be to the rescue.Also; there are about forty million (36 million actually) video alternatives on-line, and with millions being on-demand movie streaming.

- Collapse -
Comcast

Have no much information regarding this.

CNET Forums