HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

HELP ...Inspiron 8600 or 700m ???

by orangina / August 3, 2004 12:40 AM PDT

Daughter is going to college and we have got it down to either the 8600 or 700. She says she is not worried about toting it. I think she may end up toting and appreciate the lighter.
She is not sure what to get would appreciate input
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP ...Inspiron 8600 or 700m ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP ...Inspiron 8600 or 700m ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HELP ...Inspiron 8600 or 700m ???
by Wstsydthug / August 3, 2004 3:26 AM PDT

Although the 700 may be more expensive, I found that I've always longed for a cpu that was portable. I eventually brought mine to class everyday to take down notes. However I was using an Inspiron 2650 which weighed about 8lbs. I don't know the specs on the 8600 for sure, but I think the 700 seems better overall. Getting a lot of RAM would increase the products life through the years until she's ready to get a new cpu, hopefully sometime after graduation.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 3, 2004 4:58 AM PDT

The 8600 (15.4" widescreen) can still be carried easily in a Targus notebook backpack or other brand that holds a 15" LCD screen. It weighs 6.9 pounds - about a 1/2 heavier as the 8600 was not designed for the Pentium M cpu so the case is thicker than it needs to be. The advantage of the 15.4" LCD is it is outstanding for all uses - widescreen DVD's at school, you can view more speadsheet area on the widescreen, and the viewing angle is better to the sides than a square LCD.

But the Dell 700M is much lighter due to much smaller LCD. However, make sure she actually tries the keyboard as the smaller the notebook gets the worse the keyboard gets in many cases. However, you can plug in an external keyboard in the dorm and have the more portable notebook in the classroom (using USB port) if she wants to do that.

Whatever she does, get a Pentium M notebook with at least the Pentium 725 1.6 Dothan CPU or above as that is the most recent technology for this Centrino line.

Note: The Compaq X1000 series I have and the sister HPZT3000 and also the Toshiba M35 series are excellent alternatives to the Dell 8600 as they have cases designed for the Pentium M so they are thinner and weigh 6.5 pounds and 6.2 pounds each.
The HP/Compaq also has a very good keyboard -- eclipsed mainly only by IBM notebooks.

See X1000forums and my other posts on this board. If she is a college student, she can get a student discount (APP) by ordering at HPshopping, a $100 rebate through 9/1/04 for any custom HP or Compaq notebook, and there are even more ways to save $.

See X1000forums.com

Collapse -
by Element / August 3, 2004 7:39 AM PDT

I would recommend the Inspiron 700m if she wants a light laptop, but I'm certain that it will not have the same compatabilities as the 8600. If you want something light, but still effective, go with the 700m.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.