Laptops forum

General discussion

Help in replacing a laptop DVD/CD drive

by ya1950 / May 2, 2007 2:58 PM PDT

The combination DVD/CD burner on my 3 year old Toshiba M35 is on the blink. The drive is a tray loaded slim model made by Panasonic. I would like to buy a replacement but before I do I need to know what type of drive to buy. Specifically if I buy a newer slim dual layer drive will it be recognized by my firmware and OS (Vista business) or will my older Toshiba BIOS prevent the drive from working?

Also would anyone have a recommendation for a replacement drive, preferable one that could be made region free either by software or by flashing the firmware? TIA to anyone who takes the time to answer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help in replacing a laptop DVD/CD drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help in replacing a laptop DVD/CD drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think I'll pass
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 9:56 PM PDT

"preferable one that could be made region free" tripped over the amount of research that I'd do for free.

But I've replaced dozens (hundreds by proxy) and never found a BIOS lockout yet.

Bob

Collapse -
That gives me what I needed
by ya1950 / May 2, 2007 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: I think I'll pass

Thanks so much Bob. That gives me the info I need. As long as there is no incompatability I can do the research and make an informed choice. Your help is much appreciated.

Collapse -
Bob - could this be a first?
by ya1950 / May 14, 2007 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I think I'll pass

Hope you are still here Bob. Based on the above I just got a Pioneer K17. It fit right in the machine but something is strange here - the drive installed its drivers fine with Vista and is working. However .. on bootup I get an error message - "023 Failure IDE#2" and then a dialog asking me if I want to enter setup or boot. The machine boots up but I think the Bios does not like this drive. I can't see any way to resolve this error. Even changing the boot order in the BIOS still results in the error. Since the drive works under VISTA I assume it is ok. What am I missing? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Collapse -
Very odd. You're the first?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2007 2:13 AM PDT

"023 Failure IDE#2" in google.com and in the newgroups doesn't find anyone with that report.

I tried a few variants by omitting the #2 but no one reports this. I wonder if your drive has a BIOS update you haven't applied yet?

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the quick reply
by ya1950 / May 14, 2007 2:49 AM PDT

Thanks for replying so quickly. I also could not find anything on google nor could I find any firmware update on google. Googling around what I find is that the Pioneer k16 (I'm guessing the same for the k17) is a cable select unit.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=165136 (post #20)

Could there be a problem with the bios wanting the drive set as master and the cable setting it as slave? Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Collapse -
I don't have your laptop...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2007 3:07 AM PDT

So I can't tell if you can tell the BIOS to ignore search a slave channel and failing.

If I put the next line in google.com

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K16 FIRMWARE 1.44

I narrow it down to the dangerous brothers 1.44 firmware. I was not able to find 1.44 another way. Your choice on that.

So far I have yet to encounter ANY laptop that had an issue with master/slave or CS. Thankfully all current models just use CS and that takes care of all those bad old headaches.

Bob

Collapse -
BIOS will not allow me to ignore a slave
by ya1950 / May 14, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and return the drive to Newegg. To bad, its a nice drive but I don't think I can live with the error message when I boot up. Thanks very much for all your help in this.

Collapse -
Try another model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2007 4:27 AM PDT

The model you noted is a bit on the rare side. Stick with the make that your laptop maker uses.

You've actually made some big steps as to learning that such are replaceable. Now to move closer to something they used.

Bob

Collapse -
Good advice
by ya1950 / May 14, 2007 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Try another model.

although I don't like the Panasonic drives Toshiba uses because they are locked in the hardware to prevent them from using region free software. Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Region free never an issue. Cnet told how..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Good advice
Collapse -
Didn't know that - thanks
by ya1950 / May 14, 2007 6:02 AM PDT

again.

Collapse -
Did some more reseach
by ya1950 / May 14, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

and I found that this is a common problem with Toshiba and some other machines. The drive is set as master by cable select but for some reason the laptop reads it as a slave giving the ide# error. Exchanging the drive may not solve the problem since it is a Toshiba issue and not a problem with the drive. Toshiba used to have a utility that would reflash certain drives and invert the cable select but it not available for newer drives. The solution seems to be to short out pins 45 (cable select) and 47 (ground) on the drive. This will force the drive to be read as master:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/Pioneer_K04L_master_mod.html

http://www.sparesweb.com/hdd/installguide/50-pin%20ATAPI%20interface%20connector%20for%20laptop%20and%20slimeline%20cd.htm

Not being handy with a soldering iron I'm going to get a conductive pen and give it a try.

Collapse -
It worked!
by ya1950 / May 15, 2007 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Did some more reseach

Just to round this out in case anyone has a similar problem in the future - Following the instructions I posted above I opened the drive and connected pins 45 and 47, Didn't even have to solder them - I used a single strand of fine wire and wrapped it around the 2 adjacent pins. I replaced the drive and now the error message is gone. Runs fine under VISTA as well. Just a thumbs up if anyone has similar problems. The solution is really very easy once you know what to do.

Collapse -
Print a label "Dangerous."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2007 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: It worked!

"In a good way."

And wear it. Super job.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!