Question

Help in recovering files from Portable HD

I was backing up my files to my Portable HD, there was a power failure and when I boot up my PC, I am unable to view my files and sub-folders inside this particular backup folder of my Portable HD. What it shows in this directory is there is no files or sub-folders in it.

However, files and sub-folders from the other folders can be view, and able to be moved to another Portable HD.

I have checked to see if those "lost" files are gone for good and it is showing on the properties of the portable HD showing there is about 700GB of used space. This indicates that the "unseen" files are still there as this backup folder contains around that amount of 700GB file size.

I need advise with appropriate steps and methods to retrieve these files. Just afraid that using the wrong method might cause me to lose those files for good.

I have use Recuva but unable to view the files that i need to recover. It only shows the files that I had recovered. Maybe there are some settings that needs to be done in Recuva to enable for me to retrieve my files.

That PC that I was backing up my files at that time is using Window XP Professional. The Portable HD is USB Western Digital Portable HD (bought less than a year). Done a HD check for physical error and it is error free. I also have ticked the box allowing to view all hidden files.

If a recovery software needs to be used, which software is the best for this case.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help in recovering files from Portable HD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help in recovering files from Portable HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: recovery

Why not make a new copy from your PC? Loss of a backup doesn't imply loss of the original on the PC, does it?
Admittedly,
copying 700 GB takes some time. But less than sending the disk to a
data recovery company and waiting till they ship it back to you.

Doing a chkdsk on the drive, by the way, might have erased the existing
traces, making it more difficult to retrieve that data. One of the rule
of thumbs of data recovery: don't touch the original, start with making
an image copy and work on that.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7588_102-354911.html mentiones some
other DIY titles. The best in this particular case is the one that works
best. You only know after you tried.

Kees

- Collapse -
I will look into the solutions on the link...

I need to retrieve those files because a number of the files from my PC are no longer there and they are only available in that Portable HD.

Copying the 700GB should not take a lot of time as these are hundreds of files that total up to 700GB

Thinking that backing up my files to one HD is the best solution but after facing this situation that my backup HD runs into problem with regular hard disk checks for healthy state.

Lesson learned from this is never rely on backing up to one HD.

I will look into the solutions on the link, hopeful they works.

CNET Forums