Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Help in installing a 2nd instance of XP in another volume

Hello, all;

My C drive (500GB) is my usual boot drive. It has no problems; this is a precautionary measure. I want to use a newly installed 1TB, drive I as my default boot drive, and rebuild C later. My Virtual CD ROM (VCdRom.sys) is mounted with an ISO of XP PRO OEM (my CD-ROM no longer burns). The virtual CD ROM (VCdRom.sys, drive Z) is mounted with an ISO of XP PRO OEM.

Question: What do I need to do to install that version of XP on Drive I? And can I use my registered 25 digit genuine serial number, the one that's on the C drive, or should I just install it as an OEM with the serial I have for it?
Thanks in advance,

Mally Confused

MallyMcGinnis has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help in installing a 2nd instance of XP in another volume
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help in installing a 2nd instance of XP in another volume
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by MallyMcGinnis

Collapse -
Should be fun.

In reply to: Help in installing a 2nd instance of XP in another volume

I've yet to set such work properly. That's why I fix the failed hardware when I need to do this.
Bob

Collapse -
Any one else with an idea?

In reply to: Should be fun.

Drat, that's not what I hoped to hear, but thanks for responding, Bob. I use my computer for work, and there would be too much to do to set up a new drive without loosing business, even if I happened to lose it on a Friday night. I've gone through that nightmare before; never again.

I do have my original SP1 disc. I could boot the new drive and install that version of XP from it, then use the ISO to upgrade to a newish version of SP3. Might that work? Could I do that without tearing into my machine to detach the other two drives (one has two partitions that hold Data and Appy .exe files) again via the CMOS?

Thanks in advance,

Mally

Collapse -
Re: install

In reply to: How about a new approach...

You can't boot from the ISO to install XP.
So your options are, indeed: (1) burn to disk and install that or (2) install another version for which you have the disk.

But I think it would be much better to clone your current drive to the new one (that's an exact copy). Then go into the case and switch the 2 cables. And there you are: you boot from the new drive and the old drive isn't used at all, so you can safely format it and start using it for other purposes.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob and Kees!

In reply to: Re: install

I don't want to clone my C drive to the new one; it's several years old, and has errant bits of software and whatnots I don't want to bring onto a new drive. I want to do a clean install of Windows XP and all the software I still use on it. It looks as though I will have some cable swapping to make, but you've both given me a sufficient spring board from which to work, and I thank you.

Peace,

Mally

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!