Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help in getting Photos not formatted Kodak imaging

by mg4196 / November 15, 2004 9:47 PM PST

I have been trying to get about 80 fotos I misplaced and found in Kodak Imaging on C Drive; My documents.
They are there with the little title I gave them but when I click to retrieve them it comes up with "The document format is invalid or not supported." Any way to get these pictures back? Please help. Very important to me.
MG

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help in getting Photos not formatted Kodak imaging
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help in getting Photos not formatted Kodak imaging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help in getting Photos not formatted Kodak imaging
by Cursorcowboy / November 15, 2004 10:18 PM PST

First things first -- from Explorer/My Computer, click View, Folder Options, View and place a dot in the radio button for Show all files. If a check mark exist in the box for Hide file extension for known file types, remove it. Click the box near the top of the applet labeled Like Current Folder, click Apply, and then click OK to Exit.

They are there with the little title I gave them but when I click to retrieve them it comes up with

Just what is I click to retrieve them mean?

Collapse -
Re: Help in getting Photos not formatted Kodak imaging
by TONI H / November 15, 2004 10:27 PM PST

As Cursor mentioned, your use of the term 'retrieve' is confusing. I'm assuming that you want to view these pictures, and that the error you are getting is because you no longer have the program you created the images with installed on the computer. Many imaging programs save their created files in some kind of format (extension) other than .jpg or .gif or .bmp type. The extensions I just mentioned are ones that Windows recognizes and associates a viewer for them. If your Kodak imaging program actually saved them in another type of extension, you should try reinstalling that Kodak program so that its viewer will make the association again....then as you can open each image, click File, Save AS from Kodak's toolbar, and save the image as one of the three file types I've mentioned from the dropdown arrow box (FILETYPE box). This means that you will now have two copies of that image.....one in the extension Kodak used, and one in the extension that Windows can also view for you.

Then if you don't want the Kodak Imaging program installed anymore, after you have saved all of your images in a Windows type of extension, you can uninstall the program and you will still have a copy of the image that Windows will be able to view for you.

I hope I have understood your problem and my suggestion helps you get the images working again.

TONI

Collapse -
IrfanView can open Kodak Digital Camera files
by ChuckT / November 17, 2004 4:21 AM PST

Get the free IrfanView

and also load in the free "plug-ins" which increase the ability to read and write additional formats.
In all, IrfanView can read over 40 formats, and write about 18.

Once you have all that, then perhaps, you will be able to read your specific Kodak images.

If that fails then get the free XnView which can read over 400 formats.

Why not get XnView first?
Because it is not as small, not as fast, not as easy, as IrfanView. But XnView does have some nice picture editing capabilities that IrfanView does not have. XnView also supports a dozen different platforms (Mac, various Unix, etc.) and over 40 languages.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?