HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

help in buying an ultracompact camera

by jd890 / May 13, 2006 6:35 AM PDT

I am in the market for a new digital camera to replace my fuji e550. My fuji is just to big!

I like the casio s600, but after looking at sample images, the image quality was soft and did not capture high levels of detail.

So, i wanted to know if there were other camera models that capture sharp images, and have good low light and battery performace.
P.S: it has to be a pocketable camera!!

Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help in buying an ultracompact camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help in buying an ultracompact camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 1:53 PM PDT

The very small pocket cameras all seem to have softer lenses than larger cameras.

The best small pocket camera that I have found so far is the Olympus Stylus 710.

As far as low light ability.
You need to look at DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras.

The only small camera that has promise in low light is the Fujifilm F30, which is supposed to be available in the USA about the middle of June.

Collapse -
Sony cyber-shot W series
by jd890 / May 14, 2006 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Digital Cameras

Has anyone tried the sony cyber-shot W series? Are those cameras good in low light situations? Would it be worth spending extra to get the w70 over the w50?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Sony W50/W70
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 14, 2006 12:01 PM PDT

There is a review of the W50 at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/w50.html

There are sample photos included in the review.

Since the W70 has the exact same lens, I would not expect to see any difference in image quality.

The W70 has a 7 megapixel sensor, and that should provide a bit more detail in the images.

Neither camera would be particularly good in low light. About the same as most cameras in this class.

Collapse -
Casio z60 vs. Casio s600
by jd890 / May 16, 2006 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony W50/W70

Is there a difference in the picture quality of the Casio ex-z60 and the ex-s600?? Which one would be better? Thanks.

Collapse -
Z60 - S600
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 16, 2006 12:07 PM PDT

There is no way to tell right now.

No one has reviewed the Z60 and I have not seen any sample photos.
The Z60 appears to be a continuation of the Z50, Z55, Z57 line of cameras. But the Z60 appears to be quite different from the Z57.

There is a review of the S600:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/ex-s600.html

Collapse -
Can't decide between 2 cameras
by jd890 / May 18, 2006 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Z60 - S600

I have narrowed my search down to 2 cameras. The Sony W50 and the Casio ex-z750. I have seen sample images of them both, however I cannot decide which one to purchace. Your opinions are welcome!! Thanks!

Collapse -
Casio Z750 and Sony W50
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 18, 2006 8:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
which did you get
by stmarys / October 2, 2006 11:25 AM PDT

Which camera did you get? I'm looking at these for christmas gifts for my teens...did they come with an SD card or memory stick?

Collapse -
webcam
by dat_nikka_tomato / June 16, 2006 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony W50/W70

can the w50 be used as a webcam?

Collapse -
Probably not
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: webcam

If it can, there will be instructions in the camera User's Manual.

To function as a webcam, requires additional drivers and special firmware in the camera.

This was a feature that was fazed-out about four years ago.

Current cameras are not designed to be operated for long periods of time. Overheating is one problem.

Webcams can be found for $20
They are designed for the job.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.