Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

HELP! Importing Outlook 2007 "raw data" to Outlook 2003

by 212andrew / March 5, 2007 8:11 AM PST

My hard drive malfunctioned, and I sent it away for data recovery. A few weeks and $1,200 later, I have my data back. The problem is, the external hard drive that the recovered data was sent back on does not have working programs, of course ? only the raw data in ?windows explorer tree? format.

I had recently installed Office 2007 on my machine, about 1 month before my hard disk failure. Now I have a new machine up and running ? I?m using Office 2003 now, as I didn?t like Office 2007. How can I get the old contacts from my crashed machine onto my new machine? I?ve read a little about ?.wab? files, etc., but I don?t think I can import (copy & paste) the one from my external hard drive. On my external hard drive, a copy of my pre-crash drive that was running Outlook 2007, the ?.wab? file is located in:
\Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

However, when I search for the .wab file on my current system, nothing comes up. Further, when I try to explore that directory, there is no ?Address Book? folder located on my new machine (running Office 2003) in:
\Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

All I see in the ?Outlook ? folder is:
\Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
This contains:
One 51kb Outlook.NK2 file
One 3kb Outlook.srs file
One 3kb Outlook.xml file

So, is there any way for me to obtain my old contacts (and mail, preferably) from Outlook 2007, and import them in raw format to Outlook 2003? I?ve thought of uninstalling Office 2003, reinstalling 2007, exporting everything, then uninstalling 2007, and reinstalling 2003 and importing the files, but I?m not convinced that would work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know this is an odd problem ? creative solutions are appreciated. Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Importing Outlook 2007 "raw data" to Outlook 2003
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Importing Outlook 2007 "raw data" to Outlook 2003
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.