Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Help!, I want to kill this machine

by bkay / January 17, 2012 1:41 AM PST

I have a new computer (HP pavillion p6000 series), as the old one died. I expected it, so backed up to carbonite (also have backup of files on cd). I restored from carbonite and now nothing works right.

I had been using office xp, but loaded office 2007 before restoring. Now, I can't open any of my office documents, it says I don't have "access priviledges". So, I figured I shouldn't have loaded the 2007. So, I uninstalled it and installed XP. It says the same thing.

So, I looked up access priviledges in help. It doesn't say anything about this.

It also tells me that something like, "32 bit printer yada yada" isn't right. It says it will look it up on microsoft, but nothing happens.

Is it carbonite, Kodak, office, microsoft, or HP? Where do I start?

bkay

bkay has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help!, I want to kill this machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help!, I want to kill this machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by bkay

Collapse -
Re: access denied
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 6:38 PM PST

If the error is about "access denied" you must take ownership of those files. Easy to google.

The term "access priviledges" is unlikely to be correct. If you mean " "access privileges" it's a rather strange message.

It might be the printer needs a 64-bit driver. Did you look for that on the Kodak site?

Kees

Collapse -
yes, you're right
by bkay / January 18, 2012 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re: access denied

Kodak has the software. You just have to go to their site and get it. Their automatic installation software doesn't recognize that this machine needs a different software. That's not a problem.

I googled the thing about access privileges and it comes up related to XP, so I assume the instructions will work for Windows 7.

The thought occurs to me that I shouldn't have gotten a 64 bit machine. I really didn't know what I was buying. It said HP and quad core (dummy me, I thought if dual core is good, quad core must be great) and I assumed it would work well for me. Now I'm concerned about my hobby software working. I bought the machine at Walmart, so I can return it within 15 days.

Thanks,
bkay

Collapse -
That hobby software
by Steven Haninger / January 18, 2012 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: yes, you're right

My guess is that any failure to run that software won't be the version of Windows 7 you have. Not everything that works with XP will be compatible with Windows 7, however. If you find that it does not, you can install what's called "XP mode" which increases your chances of success with some older stuff. This is a free download from Microsoft though, I believe, it must be done from a valid copy of Windows 7.

Collapse -
Last question
by bkay / January 18, 2012 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: That hobby software

I just restored the whole thing and started over.

I assume because it's HP, it has a valid copy of windows 7. Is that correct?

I downloaded the Kodak driver, and it did not work before I did the system restore. A message about not having a 32 bit something came up. Kodak has pretty good support. Hopefully, that will work out.

One step at a time.

Thanks,

bkay

Collapse -
If you used the HP restore disks or a restore disk
by Steven Haninger / January 18, 2012 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: Last question

you created from laptop, you're OK. These don't generally need to be activated. They are purchased from MS in some volume that reflects the number of PCs or laptops they will produce and sell. They will have a product ID code and you should have a sticker on the bottom of your laptop that verifies this as a legal copy of Windows. If you use some other disk, the whole story changes.

Collapse -
It's a desktop
by bkay / January 18, 2012 5:59 AM PST

Thanks, I hope it all works or will work.

bkay

Collapse -
Answer
More info
by bkay / January 17, 2012 2:31 AM PST

Part of the problem seems to be that I set inadvertantly set up a user and an administrator. Everything was restored to the user. When I sign in as adminstrator,those office files are not available. Why I can't open them is still a mystery. It seems the easy way to solve this is to make the user and administrator. I'm working on that.

Still can't print anything.

bkay

Collapse -
Answer
I'm wondering if you changed OSs in this process and also
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2012 3:22 AM PST

wondering which version of Office you prefer. The last thing I wonder is just how inconvenient would it be for you to just blow it up and start over. You might just restore it to the factory installation, install Office 2007 properly and retrieve you data afterwards. I don't know Carbonite but I do know there can be issues moving files between NTFS partitions if not done the Windows approved way.

Collapse -
I think you are right
by bkay / January 17, 2012 6:11 AM PST

It might be better just to start over. The old system was XP sp3, I was using Office xp for Word and Excell and outlook from Office 2007. The new system is Windows 7. I like Office XP better, but sometimes you just have to move on, so I decided to change to Office 7. I figured they have to have some of the bugs out of it by now.

Is there a certain order to load updates, drivers, programs and files?

thanks,

bkay

Collapse -
Can't speak with much authority on your question but
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2012 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: I think you are right

this is what I do with a new system. I update drivers and the OS as needed first. I install another browser and any desired plugins. I install the applications I want to use one at a time and get them updated, activated, etc. I do use Office BTW and have 2007. I agree that it was a pain to get accustomed to the changes but it works ok for me and I have a wife who's better at this than I...so she will help me. But I also take snapshots of my hard drive during the process of building it by using an imaging program. This allows me a quick way to undo something that I'm not happy with. I say this because it appears that, in the process of trying to fix your new machine, things may have gotten worse. Such is why I thought starting from scratch with a plan might be a better choice. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks, I figured out some more
by bkay / January 17, 2012 10:58 AM PST

Well, there are mulitible problems. One, it's 64 bit Windows 7, which is still kind of buggy. Two, Carbonite is not restoring to the correct location, which I figured out after they closed today. You tell it to restore to "compaq_user" and it goes through the motions. But when the actual restore starts, it's changed it to "compaq_user barbara hp". So the files are there, but you can't access them. You can't access them because of the administrator/user/guest system. There is no user by that name. Three, Kodak's software does not recognize the 64 bit Windows software, which is why I can't print.

I'm reluctant now, to start all over, as I've gotten all the operating sytem updated and the Microsoft programs working. Fortuntely, I have a good backup from a couple of weeks ago on stick memory. What I don't have are all my bookmarks, dictionary, favorites, etc.

I will call Carbonite first thing in the morning and figure out if this can be solved. I have work to do tomorrow with office programs, so I don't have days and days to spend on this.

If I can restore to a good account, I can delete those erroneous files and users. In any case, I can restore from my memory stick and do without all the details and delete the users and their files. Either way, I don't have to download all that Microsoft stuff again.

Does that make sense or not? Or, do you still think I should do a system restore?

bkay

Collapse -
It's your choice
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2012 6:03 PM PST

One does learn more by banging one's head on a problem than by having someone else figure it out for them. But I would think the printer issue should be easy to resolve. You would need to remove it and all associated software, find (if available) the 64 bit version and all should work. I don't know what Carbonite tries to restore but I do know that restoring from backups to a completely different machine is full of traps. Files and folders full of data are one thing but settings tend to be specific to the OS and software. Windows 7 does treat users differently and the folder structure from XP to Win7 is not the same. Manual intervention is needed. I did move from XP to Windows 7 on all new hardware and did start from scratch not attempting any sort of software restoration process. I've not found Win7 to be buggy nor have problems with any of my 32 bit software. I am disappointed in what has been available in the way of 64 bit software for the non professional.

Collapse -
Are you doing the restore this way ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 18, 2012 10:51 AM PST
Collapse -
I took the computer back
by bkay / January 19, 2012 8:55 AM PST

I called HP finally. The tech support person told me I only had 11 days left on my warranty. I replied that I just bought it Friday. She said it was registered last year. I packed up the computer and took it back. I bought another HP at another store and it has worked pretty well so far.

HP called today to find out what I did with the original one. I said I took it back. They said that was a good idea.

Carbonite offered extra help to solve my problems, but I decided to restore from my last backup instead.

Still not sure what the problem was. Lots of operator error, I'm sure. I think that machine was probably a refurb, although it was not marked as such.

Thanks again for all your help.

bkay

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!