General discussion

Help! I've got a problem with installing os other than win7

Like in subject, I'm using Win7 right now and when I'm trying to install any other system (I need to install XP + Ubuntu) BIOS keeps saying that there's no CD/DVD-Rom hardware detected and gives me some errors, only win7 & Vista installations are working. If anybody knows a solution 4 this thread please help.. Happy I hadn't changed anything in BIOS settings, before I installed Windows7 everything was working just fine. DVD-Roms also runs fine. I'm totally out of idea..

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help! I've got a problem with installing os other than win7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help! I've got a problem with installing os other than win7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's proper and well known.

XP doesn't know about SATA connected drives. It's well discussed with what must be 100 thousand posts by now.

Pick them over with a google and ask -> How to install XP to a SATA hard drive.

And remember that if you have "XP" there are more failures ahead. The CD must be a XP SP2 or XP SP3 or you'll only repeat what others have learned. But how else will you learn?
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks for your hint!

I've search for it's reveal and figured out that the problem is that XP simply doesn't got embedded driver for SATA controller, so I made a floppy with this driver from my motherboard manufacturer site and it worked. Thank you very much Happy

- Collapse -
That's good to read.

Many times we only need a direction to head in. A hint or tip.

Glad it worked out.
Bob

CNET Forums