Computer Help forum

Question

Help. I need to share internet btwn 2 PCs using ONLY a cable

by SlowBoat2England / October 10, 2014 5:58 PM PDT

I've been looking for days (over a week now) for a solution to my problem. What I want to do is this:

Share internet from Computer A to Computer B with only a crossover Ethernet cable. No router, no wired hub, just the cable. Both are Windows 7 computers.

I've had it set up this way for almost a year, but Computer A's hard drive recently crashed and I've had to replace it with another computer and I lost the instructions that I used before to set it up like this. Here's what I remember from those instructions, if this will help:

Computer A: (Internet connected PC): One of the ipv's was set to an IP Address of 192.168.137.1

Computer B: One of the ipv's was set to 1:2:3:4:5:6:7:8

And I remember having to go into Windows firewall and allow some connection. I think there was an issue with this as well where I had to go in to some settings to even make it show the option to allow the connection?

I think I may also have had to go into my broadband modem and make adjustments as well, cannot remember what I did there.

Someone might ask why I want this sort of setup. The reason is this: I cannot use my router because I connect to a VPN for work over Computer B, and the VPN will not allow me to connect with the model of router I have. Also, I don't have time to go buy a wired hub even if that would work.

This seems like it would be easy for some of you gurus, so please can someone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help. I need to share internet btwn 2 PCs using ONLY a cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help. I need to share internet btwn 2 PCs using ONLY a cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Windows 7 Version
by burnstar001 / October 13, 2014 7:01 AM PDT

Hi SB2E,

What version of Windows 7 are you using.
Home, premium, professional or ultimate?

Thanks.

B.W.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: share internet connection
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 10, 2014 6:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
Broken Link
by SlowBoat2England / October 11, 2014 7:18 PM PDT

That link didn't work for me. I'd like to read it but I've been reading on ICS and I think it still calls for a hub/router. This fix wasn't very difficult and it required nothing more than a crossover cable.

Collapse -
Re: broken link
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 7:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Broken Link
Collapse -
Answer
Notable other title?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 1:53 AM PDT

The free and open source Virtual Router. Again, harder to setup than a real router and very few people will chat about it. Great way to cut your teeth on networking. A good router is much easier and could cost you 20 bucks. Your time and money.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks but no thanks
by SlowBoat2England / October 11, 2014 6:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Notable other title?

Hey R.P.
Thanks for answering. Never heard of virtual router. I may end up going that route if I can't find the fix, but for now I'm going to be stubborn. This isn't that hard (nothing is if you get step-by-step instructions.) I did this just 10 months ago and it's only a few settings. I guess no one knows how to do things old-school anymore. I found it online but can't seem to locate that post now. SOMEONE ANSWER THIS. There has to be someone who knows how to do more than plug n play.

Collapse -
Re: online
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but no thanks

My link above found a lot of stuff online. More, in fact, then you would need to set it up. But it's limited to Microsoft sites only. So better keep searching if you need other info to do this

Indeed, most people never used ICS, so you'll find it difficult to find somebody here with the right experience to do remote troubleshooting (which is difficult anyway).
ICS was notoriously difficult to install, and - even in the days of the 56k dial up modem - most people just used the nearest phone outlet to their inbuilt or external dial up modem on each computer (although only only one could be used for Internet at the same time).

However, I admit I once saw it in action, installed by a professional.

Kees

Collapse -
I never found "step by step" instructions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2014 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but no thanks

But why is that? The reason is that no step by step is possible because your ISP setup may differ from the person that wrote the step by step. I've seen plenty of guides but "step by step" seems to not be out there because of the variations everyone seems to have along with one person wants to get it wired, then next will do wifi and then another VPN.

As I wrote, a great way to learn networking. Also, there are guides but you will encounter folk that want a step by step. That is where I see a desert.

Yes, I know a little about all this as I wrote router code (the code that is in routers) years ago. The problem I run into are folk that are in the beginning stages of network learning so they may get upset over the lack of step by step or not understand why there are guides but not something specific for their setup.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks again
by SlowBoat2England / October 12, 2014 8:17 AM PDT

R.Proffitt,
I really do appreciate your replies and I certainly didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you were doing. Just a little frustrated. I'm definitely one of those people that doesn't know anything about networking. I've seen step by steps on how to do this every other way (router, hub) just wish there was one on using just the wire. Not sure Im ready to learn networking. I'm really after a simple fix, as in someone just telling me "do this and this".

Collapse -
Entry level, Advanced etc.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2014 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again

The router setup is now entry level networking. The ICS is slightly above that because there is rarely a repeat of what the prior person did. Add any twists such as VPN and you've advanced to the harder setups.

I think a router is the cheap exit in time and money. That TP-Link TL-WR702N runs 20 bucks to my mailbox here. An Ethernet cable could cost that much. And tech support runs many times that.

I'm not writing you can't do it or there is no step by step but your setup is not exactly what I read on the usual web tutorials so you may want to try a few apps and see how far you get.
Bob

Collapse -
So you didn't look at the links provided by Kees_B?
by Oldartq / October 12, 2014 5:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again
Collapse -
Answer
Your pretty brave
by orlbuckeye / October 13, 2014 2:33 AM PDT

with a direct connect to the internet without a router. I don't recommend that setup as a router acts as a firewall hiding all IP addresses behind the router.

Collapse -
Answer
Internet Connection Sharing
by burnstar001 / October 13, 2014 7:05 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!