Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

help! i need to know how to reformat my laptop harddrive...

by blondifaeri / July 1, 2009 3:31 AM PDT

i have a fujitsu lifebook laptop, and somehow when my kitten walked across the keyboard, it messed up my harddrive or something. now all it does is turn on & boot up to the fujitsu screen. how do i reformat the harddrive??? please help!!! thanx!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help! i need to know how to reformat my laptop harddrive...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help! i need to know how to reformat my laptop harddrive...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As Long As It's Got A DVD/CD Drive, Use The Recovery discs
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 4:18 AM PDT

The Recovery discs came with the computer, (or you were given an option to create your own when you first setup the computer) and they will allow you to reformat the machine and reinstall the operating system and all programs back to its factory condition.. Simply place the first disc in the drive and restart the computer.. It should then give you the recovery options.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanx for your help!!! unfortunately...
by blondifaeri / July 1, 2009 9:01 AM PDT

i should have also stated in my original post, that i bought this laptop used, and it came with no disks or anything Sad and NOW the keyboard has decided not to work either... i did manage to get it to do something more than before, get a message saying the <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe file is either missing or corrupted, and to reinstall it in order for Windows to load... i have a feeling this is something a computer repair person or shop will be better at doing. but thank u again for trying to help!!!! i appreciate it!!!

Collapse -
Keep your wallet closed and hidden?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 10:30 AM PDT

Without restore media this can be pricey. Your common shop will nick you for a new copy of Windows (99 to 299 bucks) and the install fee and the counter fee and what else?

If you have the serial number of your machine, make, model and such then get on google and find your Fujitsu support in your country. DO NOT EMAIL THEM! Pick up the phone and call in to order RESTORE MEDIA. If they offer them for under 99 bucks TAKE THEM FAST!!! This is your cheap fix.

Good hunting,
Bob

PS. You can also ask the person you bought it from for the missing media or instructions.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!