Mac OS forum

General discussion

HELP - I need an AC3 Audio codec for my MAC OSX Leopard

by MegaMac / September 17, 2009 8:52 PM PDT

I have a video file that is from a cultural programme and I want t make a DVD out of it using iMovie. However QuickTime or DivX can only play the video. The sound cannot be played as it is missing the audio codec. The Video is Microsoft MPEG4, and I got that installed on my MAC, but can't seem to find an installable AC3 codec for the sound. I got a zip file which is ac AC3.component file, but I don't know how to install a '.COMPONENT' file on MAC-OSX.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP - I need an AC3 Audio codec for my MAC OSX Leopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP - I need an AC3 Audio codec for my MAC OSX Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Perian
by Kevin M. Dean / September 18, 2009 2:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nope didn't work
by MegaMac / September 18, 2009 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Perian

I downloaded and installed Perian. Since then, my DivX player is now able to play the AVI file with the AC3 codec. Hwever, Quicktime still cannot play the Audio. And neither can iMovie 09. Any other ideas or codecs that I can download? The AC3 audio is 6 channel audio, so maybe that's why Quicktime cannot play it. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
by Kevin M. Dean / September 18, 2009 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope didn't work

If you had Quicktime and iMovie open when you installed, you need to re-launch the applications to make use of the new codecs. The Perian plugin is for Quicktime so there's no reason for it to not play in Quicktime unless it hadn't been restarted.

Collapse -
Yes you are right
by MegaMac / September 18, 2009 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Relaunch

You were right about the Quicktime. It was still running when the codec was installed. So when I restart, I has picked it up and now it can play the audio. HOWEVER, iMovie 09 was restarted and it still doesn't pick it up. I want to mix videos, how do I make that work? Should the same codec not have worked?

Any tips?

Collapse -
by Kevin M. Dean / September 19, 2009 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes you are right

I don't know if iMovie has any unique compatibility requirements. It may just not like the multi-channel audio contained in the AC3 track. You may need to export the audio from Quicktime to a compatible stereo format first.

Collapse -
Can't open any AVI in iMovie
by MegaMac / September 19, 2009 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: iMovie

Hi there, I read somewhere that you can't open any AVI file in iMovie. How do you rectify that problem? Any plugins etc that I need?

Collapse -
by MegaMac / September 19, 2009 7:39 PM PDT

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your response. Finally I have solved the issue with iMovie. Apparently iMovie can't read any video that is not a .Mov file. So you have to basically cnvert your Avi files to Mov. You can do this by using FFMPEGX, which seems to be a beautiful utility. So now I can import my avi files into iMovie and merge them as required.

Thanks all

Collapse -
The long way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

Since you have video, splice in the audio. But how? Look up VLC PLAYER (yes there is such for the Apple) and then play the video with that. Record "what you hear" via any means possible and replace the audio track with your new recording.

I only offer this in case no other option shows up.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?