Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Help - I'm not technical and keep getting error messages!!

by gaynor / January 21, 2005 10:50 PM PST

I hope someone can help. I'm getting an error message WSOCK2(01)+000006D6 Error:OE:0028:CIB41536. I'm also getting messages 'You're computer is running low on resources' 'The system is dangerously low in resources' and my Broadban AOL keeps disconnecting. I am not a technical person and wondered what was happening??? Grateful for any advice/help/assistance/tips please!!!!
Gaynor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - I'm not technical and keep getting error messages!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - I'm not technical and keep getting error messages!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re
by Mark5019 / January 21, 2005 11:48 PM PST

well please read this

If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Collapse -
WSock and resources in Win9x
by Cursorcowboy / January 22, 2005 9:00 PM PST

A. Help - I'm not technical and keep getting error messages!!

1. The subject of a message should contain some hint of the problem so that the member who is knowledgeable in the area would be interested in your situation. IMHO, the above is not conducive to such.

2. I see you're a new member, and please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be of much help:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Note: You do have the option of using the hyperlink "Edit My Profile" on the right side of the main page to fill in applicable system information so that it is available.

B. I'm getting an error message WSOCK2

LSP-Fix is a utility for download that repairs a specific type of Winsock problem where the chain can get broken, rendering the user unable to access the Internet.

C. The system is dangerously low in resources

1. For any Windows version before W2K and NT, you will always have to pay attention to what you do in order to conserve "System Resources" (Click to see an example screenshot) since there is only 64KB available. You should study:

a. Fred Langa's article, "Resource Leaks," Part One.

b. The "SYSTEM RESOURCES FAQ."

2. Windows 98 includes a core composed of three components:

a. USER - Manages input from the keyboard, mouse, and other input devices and output to the user interface (windows, icons, menus, and so on). It also manages interaction with the sound driver, timer, and communications ports.

KERNEL:

(1) Provides base operating system functionality, including file I/O services, virtual memory management, and task scheduling.

(2) Exception handling is another service of the Kernel. Exceptions are events that occur as a program runs and that require software outside the normal flow of control to be run.

(3) Allocates virtual memory, resolves import references, and supports demand paging for the application. As the application runs, the Kernel schedules and runs threads of each process owned by an application.

(4) Provides services to both 16-bit and 32-bit applications by using a translation process called thunking to map between 16-bit and 32-bit formats. Thunking converts a 16-bit value to its 32-bit equivalent.

b. GDI - is the graphical system that manages what appears on the screen. It also provides graphics support for printers and other output devices. It draws graphic primitives, manipulates bitmaps, and interacts with device-independent graphics drivers, including those for display and printer output device drivers.

Note: Each of these components includes a pair of dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) (one 32-bit and one 16-bit) that provide services for the applications run.

c. Supplemental reading:

(1) "Computer Speed and Performance Decreases (Q259161)."

(2) "SmartComputing Editoral - Monitor & Conserve System Resources."

3. Once you get a handle on resources (what and how they operate) and you start experiencing problems with their availability with certain programs/applications, you can then decide for yourself whether a programmer abided by the rules or threw everything to the wind and decided to let you contend with the problem. You have to decide for yourself with whom the fault lies and whether to use programs from certain vendors when you know they broke the rules.

4. A couple of choices for cleaning out those background programs:

a. Download and use "Starter," a startup manager that allows you to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever Windows boots. It lists all the hidden registry entries, as well as the common Startup Folder items as well. You can choose to safely disable selected entries, edit them or delete them altogether (if you know what you re doing).

b. Please read the section titled, "Using the System Configuration Utility:"

(1) The Windows 98 System Configuration Utility (Msconfig.exe) provides a graphical interface for configuring the Windows 98 startup environment. The System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) lets you troubleshoot by creating a clean environment to test against. If a problem is not reproducible after performing a Diagnostic startup, a process of elimination can be used to identify the source of the issue.

(2) The System Configuration Utility lets you edit lines of Windows 98 configuration files, like Config.sys or System.ini, and provides the ability to "remark" individual lines in the files, preventing the lines from executing or processing on subsequent boots of the computer.

(3) The System Configuration Utility also lets you enable/disable items in your Startup group, and the RUN/RUN SERVICES keys of the registry. You can also use it to create a backup of system files.

c. Please read the TechAdvice articles, subjects "System File Checker", and "Using System File Checker."

5. Supplemental reading:

a. "Prompted for CD-ROM When You Run System File Checker While Correct CD-ROM Is in Drive - Q263499."

b. "Error Message: The File Was Not Found. Verify That You Have Selected the Correct 'Restore from' Location and Try Again - Q180465."

c. "Unable to Extract the Desk.cpl File from the Windows 98 CD-ROM - Q193312."

d. "How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition (Q267288)."

e. TechNet article "First Steps" and apply useful tips to enhance computer speed.

D. I am not a technical person and wondered what was happening?

All of the above should fix your system right up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.