Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Help! I'm dealing with Pagefile issues and I can't get up!

by SixSpeedDeath / April 4, 2008 1:28 AM PDT

Before I stat here are the specs for the PC I built:
Motherboard: M2N-SLi Deluxe
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Black edition
RAM: 4GB (4x 1GB) Corsair TWINX2
Drives: 1x 320GB WD 7200RPM 1x 160GB WD 7200RPM BOTH on SATA 3.0

So the issue I'm Having is that I am getting Delayed write failures when transfering Large Files on the 160GB drive, I tried Microsofts fix in Article ID : 330174 where they have you disable write caching and Modify a registry entry for the SystemPages to FFFFFFFF and yet nothing is fixing it, in fact changing the registry entry made my 160GB drive disappear all together and the reg backup didn't succeed so finding the original Hex entry was all kinds of fun, so now That I have restored the Value back to normal and uninstalled and reinstalled the drive... Everything is BACK to square 1 So from trial and error and amidst surfing the Typhoon that is now the web I think that the issue has something to do with the 4GB of RAM and the 2 large drive capacities. I'm really stuck there hoping someone has run into this issue as well. Please help, all suggestions are much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! I'm dealing with Pagefile issues and I can't get up!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! I'm dealing with Pagefile issues and I can't get up!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like OS or drivers to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 1:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Response
by SixSpeedDeath / April 4, 2008 2:29 AM PDT

I did build the machine Myself, I have tried to get drivers using the Device manager and visiting all the appropriate websites whe I first booted Windows and have run Windows Update. I am utilizing 4GB since I had problems with my computer using all it's resources when playing Games, the addition of the 2 extra GB DID improve game perfrmance but now I have this issue. I Know that the 64 bit O/S was supposed to resolve some of this but I'm a bit skeptical on weather my programs I have now will be compatible with the 64 bit O/S.

Collapse -
How did you do that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

All I've seen is XP give up to 2.0GB per app even with the /3gb switch and apps still hit the 2.0 wall.

But back to your issues. The Microsoft update driver use is now considered dead to me. I never bother with it.

As to where to get the drivers that's a mystery to some but I'm going to reveal where I get them. From the maker's web sites.

There, the secret is out.

Another issue is where I see your issue is with subpar power supplies, missing drivers, outdated BIOS, etc. The killer clue in your post is the lack of detail about this machines drivers. That and a full chkdsk AFTER (not before!!!) the drivers are all current.

Bob

Collapse -
Further Info
by SixSpeedDeath / April 4, 2008 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: How did you do that?

I am going to the manufacturers website, however Western Digita doesn't really suppy drivers for it's HDD's that I could find, The BIOS is original, but I'm a bit Gun-Shy as my Previous A8N32-SLi Deluxe would no longer post after EVERY BIOS Update and I did it with tech support on the line (I can admit when I may be over my Head)as for the Power Supply, I am useing an ANTEC NEO HE 500 Watt power supply, and I'm unsure of how to perform chkdsk, as for the drivers, what kind of info would you need? I'm an amateur there's no doubt about that, I just need to know the info to plug in to get the appropriate help Wink

Collapse -
Use this as a list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Further Info

Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=271360&messageID=2699006#2699006 to build a list of the drivers you want to find.

-> I'm a little puzzled why you would search for a driver for a hard disk. Yes there are drivers for the motherboard chips that talk to the hard disk but in some decades I've yet to find a driver for a hard disk. Can you share an example of such a driver?

"I'm unsure of how to perform chkdsk"

Microsoft writes "It should be pointed out that NTFS does not guarantee the integrity of user data following an instance of disk corruption -- even when a full CHKDSK is run immediately after corruption has been detected. Thus, there may be files that CHKDSK cannot recover. Also, files that are recovered may be internally corrupted even after CHKDSK has been run. It, therefore, remains vitally important that mission critical data be protected by means of a regimen of periodic backups or other robust disaster recovery methodology." http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;187941 (this applies to all Windows versions.

I use the command window to tell XP to do that at the next boot. I use CHKDSK C: /X

If it asks to do that on the next reboot, answer yes. Sadly Microsoft's tool is not perfect. They admit this.
Bob

Collapse -
Further
by SixSpeedDeath / April 4, 2008 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Use this as a list.

Okay so for what I understand, I have updated all the necesary drivers
The Video card manufacturer's website provided the Video card driver and the only other peripheral was a USB 2.0 4 prt PCI card, Audio, network and all other components are integral with the Motherboard and were upgraded when I Finished the install. as for Chkdsk, to my understanding you're telling me just to type chkdsk.exe in the "run" box and then it will check when I reboot, I did go to the hard drives right clicked them, and selected error checking, not sre if this is the same. I did not assume a HDD would require a driver but I am thorough if nothing else so I had to check to make sure. I will contact ASUS to help me with the BIOS update due to my past problems, and report back when I do. It's really All I left un updated, I was always taught to update EVERYTHING when you build a computer before passing go and installing the fun stuff. All My Data is backed up, it's just a nusence that When I try and organize my data on my 160GB that I have to restart multiple times to get it to Move properly. any further suggestions for me to read before I can get home and udate the BIOS would be much apprecated.

Collapse -
Sorry I wasn't clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Further

I never use the start run box since I won't get to see the results.
I was clear about using chkdsk but you went and used the mouse which I didn't write a word about.

Sorry, I "learned" that Microsoft's Update Driver is a sham. And it's what I teach others. So back to the old fashioned way of updates.
Bob

Collapse -
Starting to get it
by SixSpeedDeath / April 4, 2008 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry I wasn't clear.

Sorry, please keep in mind I'm an amateur. I'm actually unsure of how to boot into a DOS prompt (I think that's what you've told me to do) and then enter CHKDSK C:/X, is the x a variable? And I am assuming that since the drive in question is labled E:/ I would use it in place of C

Collapse -
How I get a command window.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Starting to get it

I click start run and put in CMD

Then you are right to change the drive letter as you see fit. The /X is what they call a parameter. This one is to tell windows to fix it.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!