Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

HELP! I DONT KNOW WHERE TO FIND MY SECONDARY DNS! (Windows)

Dec 30, 2005 3:10AM PST

i have a playstation portable. i have everything i need for internet connection, but i cant find out my secondary dns. i dont know where to find it, but as soon as i do, i'm set. please help me! anyone!

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
DNS
Dec 30, 2005 8:15AM PST

Most of the time a primary DNS will suffice and this is usually provided automatically to computers with that option enabled. But if you are forced to input a DNS server all you need to do is go to a computer on your network and open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and you should have all the info you need.

- Collapse -
thanx!
Dec 31, 2005 12:02AM PST

Okay! but how do i open up a command prompt?

- Collapse -
oops!
Dec 31, 2005 12:08AM PST

i just got it! but my pc isn't showing it to me....

- Collapse -
Punt.
Dec 31, 2005 2:14AM PST

Use the first as your secondary. That is, if primary is 1.2.3.4, put that as the secondary as well.

Bob

- Collapse -
question
Jul 7, 2011 1:33PM PDT

and also if i put them both the same i get this while testing connection Error: Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox LIVE server names

- Collapse -
important question!
Jul 7, 2011 1:30PM PDT

ok so when i do that only my primary dns server pops up it it doesnt show the secondary what do i do or who do i go to please pleas please help

- Collapse -
Jul 7, 2011 1:39PM PDT

and btw you can get command prompt by clicking start and put in search bar cmd

- Collapse -
Now I'm confused.
Jul 8, 2011 2:46AM PDT

Are you offering help or in need of help?

Today, nearly six years later my answers change from the above. I will only answer that I'd use the Google DNS for a trial run then will lock this old thread.

As this is from 2005, let's call it closed.
Bob