Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Help... I can't log on my system at all....

I'm new here and I need some serious help. I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS300 series computer w/pent 4 and Windows XP home edition. I go to log on and it acts like it's going to my settings but it then reboots. This does this on all four of the user accounts on the system. Is there a fix to this? I tried to do the recovery CD but it stops running right after I switch to the second disk. Help Tpb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help... I can't log on my system at all....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help... I can't log on my system at all....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help... I can't log on my system at all....

In reply to: Help... I can't log on my system at all....

Tpb,

You haven't given a lot to go on here, but I'm assuming the comuputer was working correctly before and this is something new?

Have you installed all of the Windows XP updates? Are you currently on Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2?

Have you tried restarting the computer into "Safe Mode"? (How To Start In 'Safe Mode')
If the computer will load into "Safe Mode", then I recommend starting with a tool from McAfee called the Stinger. Click on the link below, download the tool, (even if you have to download it on a friend's computer and transfer it to your's on a floppy disk, this should work), then run the tool repeatedly while in "Safe Mode", to check for specific viruses, such as "blaster" and "sasser".

McAfee Stinger Tool- Removes Klez/Bugbear
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

If you can load into "Safe MOde", have you tried using System Restore? After loading into "Safe Mode", click on Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore. When that loads, then choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time", then select a date from the calender when the computer worked correctly.

Let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Help... I can't log on my system at all....

In reply to: Re: Help... I can't log on my system at all....

I have no "safe mode" listed. I have sm-toshiba dvd-rom sd-r5002....1st floppy drive....and pm-wdc wd1200bb-22daao listed when I f8 to go to the selection screen. What's up with that? I have Norton 2004 for a virus protectant (by the way, I forgot to mention that). You assume right that the computer was working properly before this happened. I don't know what to do....Sad

Collapse -
Re: Thanks Grif.......

In reply to: Re: Help... I can't log on my system at all....

Thanks, was actually able to find the safe mode with the assistance of my teenager. LOL I think I am up and running now. Currently scanning complete computer with virus scan and hope that all turns out well. Thanks again for the help.
Tpb

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tpb, Good Job & Let Us Know If More Help Is Needed

In reply to: Re: Thanks Grif.......

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.