Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help, I can't install IE7

by snj.black / December 11, 2007 4:05 PM PST

Hi, im using windows xp, after udating Internet Explorer 6 to 7, PC got restarted, and after restart windows shows an error message

this is it:
http://www.fileupyours.com/files/139914/712b_appcompat.PNG
http://www.fileupyours.com/files/139914/712b_appcompat.txt

windows can't run explorer.exe,
only thing can run is Task Manager, but i run the IE7 through new task, and it work fine, but the problem is that error / not runing explorer.exe

so i have to uninstall it,
and i uninstall it through Task Manager > New Task > %WINDIR% / ie7

Please Help Me!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help, I can't install IE7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help, I can't install IE7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Stop trying, uninstall IE7...
by Paul C / December 11, 2007 7:22 PM PST

...and never try again. IE7 does NOT play well with XP, and it's a waste of your time and a source of much aggravation to try to make it work.

Better yet, have you tried Firefox? Go to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/ and download it. I guarantee you'll love it, and you'll be free of IE's security issues. (You will still have to use IE for Windows Update, however.)

Paul

Collapse -
ie7
by blingsbck06 / December 11, 2007 7:41 PM PST

personally i agree with paul c dont bother trying to get ie7 i have it on my lappy but i think its rubbish keep ie6 far better

Collapse -
Personally, I don't.
by Kees Bakker / December 11, 2007 7:50 PM PST
In reply to: ie7

Never had any problem with IE7 on 2 laptops and 1 desktop.

Apart from a somewhat different look (no problem), a search window in the upper right corner (nice), the possibility to use tabs (nice), far better printing options (very, /BHO's (very useful) I don't see much differences and certainly no disadvantages.

Could you explain why you think IE6 is "far better" and IE7 "rubbish". That are rather strong words, and I assume you've got some strong arguments to use them. So please tell them.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: uninstalling
by Kees Bakker / December 11, 2007 7:41 PM PST

I usually uninstall via Control Panel>Add/Remove. Not by trying to run something that doesn't even exist on my PC (\windows\ie7) or is syntactically incorrect (windows/ie7).

Another point: Explorer.exe isn't Internet Explorer, but Windows Explorer. Internet Explorer is iexplore.exe. So it's rather mysterious why this error occurs.

If you can't get into Add/Remove by running \windows\system32\appwiz.cpl (from Task Manager), do a System Restore after booting into the command prompt as told in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Install IE7 from a Microsoft Website...
by BlackBart1955 / December 12, 2007 8:14 AM PST

The first thing that pops up in my mind is the question: Where did you download the IE7 from? Your error message is what makes me wonder, because that is not a typical Microsoft error message, and because it actually has a website listed, which is a non-Microsoft website.

The ONLY valid source is from Microsoft itself. I was working at a major company about 3 years ago, when there used to be e-mails circulating that APPEARED to be from Microsoft, but were actually from a scammer. The IE download (IE6 at that time) actually had a virus imbedded inside it. It was the MS-Blast (or maybe it was the SASSER) virus. A lady who worked for the company opened the e-mail, saw the Microsoft logo, and believed that she really did need to download it ?to add increased security? as the e-mail said, so she downloaded it onto the company computer. The virus was so bad, it infected and shut down the entire worldwide network. It was shut down for 48-hours and neither the IT staff, nor the Norton Anti-Virus staff could figure it out, so they had to completely revamp the entire system, which cost the company many important data files, which included Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable files.

There are websites on the Internet that have IE7 as a download, and some are reputable, but I wouldn?t trust any other source for what I could easily get from Microsoft, but the Microsoft website itself. That goes for anything from Microsoft, MSN Messenger included.

What I would recommend is to open System Restore and use that to go back to a checkpoint BEFORE you installed the IE7. You can access System Restore, by clicking on the ?Start? button, ?All Programs?, ?Accessories?, and then ?System Tools?. If it does not have a checkpoint from before that date, then try to uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs (found in the Control Panel). If it is not listed, then I hope you have a good backup to use.

Once you have restored your computer to its original state, (where it was before this nightmare began), follow my instructions at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=274178&messageID=2645258&tag=mcnt. This will help to rid your system of any spyware/adware that may be screwing up your computer.

Now install IE7 by opening the ?Start Menu? again, but this time, instead of clicking on the Accessories folder, look all the way up to where you will see in icon that says, ?Windows Update?. This will open up the Microsoft Windows Update website, which is a valid source of getting Internet Explorer 7. My guess is that you will have a lot more updates that need to be downloaded too. You should use Windows Update on a regular basis, of if you have Microsoft Office or any other Microsoft products, there are instructions on the website to make it so when you click on the ?Windows Update? icon, it will actually open ?Microsoft Update?, which is even better. This website will not only update Windows XP, but ALL of your Microsoft products as well.

Another good source for IE7, again from Microsoft, is at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx.

Some users, including myself, had had problems with Internet Explorer 7, but that is because if you already have add-ons installed, they may not work properly once you install IE7. Then all you need to do is uninstall that/those program(s) and re-install them. Which programs are these? It varies from computer to computer. You can find out by following the steps that I have written at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=275133&messageID=2650942&tag=mcnt.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?