Computer Help forum

General discussion

help!I can't format my hardisk:(

by misika / August 2, 2004 12:10 PM PDT

I had a lot of spyware on my comp,so i tried to get rid of it and I deleted something that was esential for the system.now I can't use any software that is internet related,the others work just fine
so I saveall the data on cd's and I'm ready to format,for format c: i get the message disk is used by another process and for fdisk-the disk is locked...
now,I am totally lost
ive got no clue about computers:(
what else should i try?
I put the hdd in another comp to try to format it but that didn't work either:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help!I can't format my hardisk:(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help!I can't format my hardisk:(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: help!I can't format my hardisk:(
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 1:01 PM PDT

Misika,

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. Depending on your issue, we might need the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, brand name of the computer, (if there is one), and any EXACT error messages you are receiving, and the EXACT version of Virus Scan, plus the scan engine and virus defintions that you have installed. (RIGHT click on the McAfee shield, or red "M", in the lower right corner, choose "About Virus Scan".) The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

It sounds like you're trying to reformat the C drive while in Windows. That doesn't work. Instead, have you checked the link below:

Toni Hackler's: How To Fdisk and Format Drives

Then again, IFf the only problem is that you can't connect to the internet, you may not need to reformat the computer. Have you tried using the program below:

Repairs Winsock 2 settings caused by buggy software or improperly removed internet software:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
And AFTER you "format my hardisk"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 10:50 PM PDT

While it is very easy to format a hard disk, what happens next is the person who formatted the drive learns (too late) that installing Windows can be much harder than they suspected.

-> Formatting the hard disk doesn't install an OS.

-> Installing Windows doesn't fetch drivers for the mothherboard, video, audio, USB and more.

Are you ready to do all this?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: And AFTER you
by Fish / August 3, 2004 10:54 AM PDT

Bob and Grif,Im following this situation because I was going to purge my computer of windows 98 and install windows 98se.Even if I had both 98 and 98se disk,s
would I need to search for drivers and such? My reason for the change is that I can't find a MP3 for storing and or moving music files that supports windows 98FE.

333mgh, Celeron Processor,7.820 Harddrive,96MB ram
Compac Presario 5050
This computer is 7 yrs old.Had harddrive replaced about
5yrs ago and video card replaced two yrs ago.I have no real problems with it other than not being able to buy and use some new toys because 98 is not supported by most new products.

Collapse -
"would I need to search for drivers and such?" Yes!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: And AFTER you

In short, for some machines the USB will just not work. Certainly the video will be 16 colors until you load the video drivers.

On some Celerons, the i810 or other board will require a motherboard driver package to get the USB working.

http://www.usbman.com has this noted many times.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: "would I need to search for drivers and such?" Yes!
by Fish / August 3, 2004 11:36 AM PDT

Thank's for the timely reply Bob. Since Im still in the newbie learning stage of the tech world I will forget the 98SE install.

Since my computer is so old do you think I could reformat and reinstall my original 98first edition with out any pitfalls as learning experience?Im sure I would gain some renewed performance from it.

Collapse -
Since my computer is so old do you think I could reformat...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 9:08 PM PDT

"Since my computer is so old do you think I could reformat and reinstall my original 98first edition with out any pitfalls as learning experience?Im sure I would gain some renewed performance from it."

ONLY IF!!! That is a factory RESTORE CD. Those CDs usually include the drivers for the machine as supplied from the factory. But at 5 years plus, its unlikely the machine is "stock" so you get the learning experience!

At this point I think we've pointed out that you need your parachute before you jump from the airplane rather than us tossing it after you and hoping you sort it out.

Bob

Collapse -
by TONI H / August 3, 2004 11:37 AM PDT

The simplest surefire way to find out too late that you need the newest drivers for your hardware is to format the drive and find out that your hardware doesn't work.

The best solution is to go to Device Mgr and click the plus marks in front of all of the devices and write down the maker and model numbers of everything, then go to the mfr website and download the newest drivers for everything you have for W98SE.

If you have the ability to burn all of those downloaded files to a cd, do it because some of them will be too large to fit on floppy disks. If you don't have a burner type cdrom, see if a friend who has one will download the files for you to their computer and burn them for you. One cd will hold them all.

Once you wipe the drive (after saving everything listed in my instructions that Grif gave you a link to), you will be ready to start fresh, knowing you are prepared to install your hardware properly, too.

As long as you have the time now to cover your butt ahead of time, you would be wise to do so. It's always better to be safe than sorry later.

TONI

Collapse -
by Fish / August 3, 2004 12:10 PM PDT

Thank's to you all for some great information and instruction.I need to take time to read and study all of it and see if Im up to it.I really appreciate your time and expertise.Fish

Collapse -
With the new information you provided, try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 11:37 AM PDT

Since you seem doubtful about finding drivers and more, why not just upgrade the OS?

Here's how in a pinch and all the stuff you may have to do after such.

1. Copy the \WIN98 directory from the 98se cd to C:\Win98

2. Boot to DOS... on the drive C: (Hint F8)

3. Rename WIN.COM win.old in C:\windows

4. CD \Win98

5. SETUP

That may do it and migrate the drivers to the slightly newer OS without having to learn all that is Windows.

After this, you visit Windows Update and take all the critical patches.

What I might do is download FIREFOX. Don't install yet, but get the installer for a possible run or IERADICATOR and reinstalling IE 6.0

Best of luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.