Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

HELP-I can't connect to my internet

by mrford81 / January 14, 2009 8:48 AM PST

I have an AT&T Speedstream 4100 DSL Modem, the phone line that hooks up to this works, I used my phone to be sure. It has the solid green DSL light, but the internet light never comes on? Coincidentally the computer seems to be possessed, sometimes the internet explorer screen will open over and over again forever until I shut it down, is that the reason I can't connect? The line seems okay? What can I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP-I can't connect to my internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP-I can't connect to my internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Amazing that you . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 15, 2009 12:15 AM PST

asked here and not called AT&T.

Collapse -
Amazing that you..
by mrford81 / January 15, 2009 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: Amazing that you . . .

Have the kind of free time to waste on replying without a real reply. What kind of *** would assume that I didn't call AT&T first? Your probably the one that I did speak to at AT&T aren't you, you little worthless piece...

Collapse -
Woah!!
by Coryphaeus / January 15, 2009 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: Amazing that you..

Where in your post did you state that you called AT&T?

Where in your post did you acknowledge that you read and heeded the big red Note that says:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Your OS, PC make and model, wired or wireless? Last time you tried a System Restore.

Where in your post did you tell us what AT&T told you? Did they do a cursory line test or did they visit and do a noise mitigation and power level test at the SNI?

Before you jump on me, consider that you told us nothing about your system or test results. Fill in some blanks and we'll try to help.

And, BTW, it's spelled you're, not your.

Collapse -
Ok now we are getting somewhere
by mrford81 / January 15, 2009 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Woah!!

First of all thanks for the tip on your vs you're (you are) I get it actually, was simply taking a shortcut, I know the difference. Speaking knowing things I guess I should be nice now that you are willing to help and I'll let you in on a little secret; Woah, is actually spelled Whoa!

Where in your post did you state that you called AT&T?

I did'nt, and didnt realize that somebody would assume that I didnt do that yet. My fault, but you posted a comment to simply point that out? What a waste of time. I did call them, they said it seems like outside trouble but when I called back again they said the the line was a poor connection but no reason not to connect, I think its always been a poor connection but always works.

Where in your post did you acknowledge that you read and heeded the big red Note that says:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

I didnt realize there were so many rules, sorry!

Your OS, PC make and model, wired or wireless? Last time you tried a System Restore.

Vista, Dell Desktop-don't know the model, wired. Never tried a restore, the computer is less than a month old. It worked one night and then couldnt connect the next day and that next day it seemed like the computer was possessed with something that made explorer pop open in new screens forever until i stop it.

Collapse -
You still here?
by Coryphaeus / January 15, 2009 9:39 PM PST

The statement by AT&T, "they said the the line was a poor connection but no reason not to connect" is BS. I taught xDSL for many years, from its inception, to all the RBOCs and I know how xDSL works. The connection must be pristine. Demand they make a visit and test it from your SNI (Subscriber Network Interface).

"something that made explorer pop open in new screens forever" sounds like malware or spyware. Do you have an active AV program and anti-spyware running? If not, go to my site below and scroll down to the Anti-Parasite Suite. Good information and free software.

Wayne (IBM freak - 7)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.

Collapse -
Could be a virus?
by camron6475 / January 20, 2009 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: You still here?

Sounds like it could perhaps be a virus.... you could try downloading Mcafee stinger and run a system scan......

Collapse -
Can't connect to internet
by johndevid / January 29, 2009 4:10 PM PST
In reply to: Could be a virus?

Try first doing a nslookup for a web site to see if the dns is working. Also check your C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Some spyware writes false information into it.

Collapse -
Re-post
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 7:03 PM PST

I have deleted a post by 'jacobshome'. He included an email link and advertising his own web site as a competing service. Such contravenes Forum Policy.

However, his post also included details which may or may not be useful, so I have copied that below;

"Did ATT asked you to do a modem reset? most of the time it will help you to get back the 'internet' light on the modem. There should be a small (probably red) button behind the modem and pressing and holding it down for 3-5 seconds will reset your modem to factory setting. Once to modem is reset, you need to access the modem gui interface using the modem (gateway) address for eg. 192.168.1.1. Then you need to input your ATT username and password. In most cases this will help you to restore the connection issue.

Regarding popup/multiple ie explorer opening, it seems to be malware/virus as others already stated"

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark!
by jacobshome / January 31, 2009 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: Re-post

As I stated in my other post, I wasnt aware that giving my email address in a post is against your forum policy. I have a website that is meant only for my local community. So in anyways, I was not advertising my site on your site. However, I appreciate you for including some information from my post in your edited/deleted post. Thanks again!

Collapse -
A couple of questions
by PudgyOne / February 4, 2009 8:01 PM PST

You said the yo get many popups, correct? If so, then your computer is most likely infected.

Are you using any type of peer to peer programs, like Limewire, Frostwire, etc...? If so, they tend to mess up connections.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

I would suggest you get help removing the virus/malware problem. You'll need to download and install some type of removal tool. If you cannot connect to the internet, then you'll have to download from another computer and try running the program from there.

Rick

Collapse -
Look at the modem again after reading the specs.
by ghettovision / February 5, 2009 1:56 PM PST

Explaination of the lights on the Speedstream 4100/4100b DSL modem (#13944)
The lights on the front of the modem will indicate the status of the modem and its connection state.

Note:This information also applies to the 5100b DSL modem. The 5100b and the 4100/4100b modems look different but the operation of all are identical.

Whenever the modem is first turned on it performs a Power On Self Test, 4 of the lights will glow green for about 10 seconds.
?The Power light will flash red during POST when POST completes successfully the Power light glows steady green.

?The Ethernet light will glow steady green when the modem detects a successful link to a computer or router ethernet port.

?The DSL light indicates the status of ADSL sync. When the modem is synchronized with the ADSL line card at the other end of the circuit/loop. The DSL light will be steady green. It may take up to 70 seconds for the modem to synchronize. When the DSL light is flashing red the modem cannot detect a ADSL sync signal, if its flashing green the modem is trying to synchronize.

?The Internet light will glow steady green when a successful PPPoE session is initiated by the modem. It will flash green while initiating a PPPoE session, flash red on failure. Unlit when modem has given up or isn't configured to initiate the PPPoE session

?The Activity light glows when the modem is sending and/or receiving data on the lan and wan. It will vary between very slow to fast flashing and steady green to indicate lan/wan traffic.

The table below is a key for the lights on the front panel of the SpeedStream 5100b and 4100 DSL modem after the initial power up.

Modem Light state Unlit Flashing Red Flashing Green Steady Green
Power Light

Modem is not getting power
Modem has failed POST
Not Applicable
Power is on

Ethernet
No Ethernet link detected
Not Applicable
Problem with ethernet port or cable
Modem has detected a successful link to a PC or router

DSL
Not Applicable
ADSL sync signal is not detected
Modem is trying to synchronize.
Modem has ADSL sync and is ready for PPPoE session traffic

Internet
Modem has given up or isn't configured to initiate the PPPoE session
PPPoE initiation has failed or PPPoE has been terminated.
Initiating a PPPoE session to Internet
Modem is ready for Internet traffic

Activity
Not Applicable
Not Applicable
Normal DSL traffic flow
Steady traffic flow

The SpeedStream 5100b/4100/4100b modems have integrated PPPoE client software and a corresponding Internet light on the front panel to indicate whether your modem has established a PPPoE connection to AT&T Yahoo HSI, when the modem is configured to initiate the PPPoE session.

If all the other lights are functioning according to the above specs and only the internet light is not coming on then you either have a software problem on the isp side or a bad modem

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!