Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP! I can't access any secure websites...

by courtz0383 / January 16, 2006 2:16 PM PST

KILL ME NOW. I swear I am ready to throw this out the window.

Anyway, I am in desperate need of some help. I cannot access any secure websites, like hotmail, my netscape e-mail account, my online banking, credit cards, nada. But I CAN access internet content like CNET, google, etc. I just can't log into anything.

I have tried uninstalling Norton Firewall, i have checked my internet security settings in IE, I downloaded and have tried using Netscape Internet browser, still won't work, I can't log into MSN messenger OR MSN expolorer. I am running IE 6.0 on Windows XP Home Edition.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! I can't access any secure websites...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! I can't access any secure websites...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Command line
by phantazy / January 16, 2006 2:53 PM PST

There are various command utilities to configure/test your internet connections. Unfortunately(!) I have not had any problems apart from losing MSN for two days, which was their problem not mine. If you google 'ipconfig' and 'netstat' you might learn more. Or others more adept than myself might jump in with the correct methods.

Collapse -
NanoDoc
by dony11 / January 17, 2006 12:40 AM PST

You beter check your accounts by using another computer, then change all your password before trying to fix this one

Collapse -
Thanks.
by courtz0383 / January 17, 2006 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: NanoDoc

Ohhhh... goody. Thanks for the head up!

Collapse -
Try this
by gopinath_sastra / January 17, 2006 6:17 AM PST

Looks like the dll files are corrupted and it will not let you type anything on the webpage for example in google.
if this is what is happening try this.
reregister mshtml.dll,mshtmled.dll and this should ifx it.
check out http://www.winxptutor.com/ieabout.htm
when reregister it if you get the message that the file cannot be found replace those files from CD or download those files from www.dlldump.com
this is a definite fix for these type of issues.
you may run sfc /scannow as there could some other dll's which could be missing as well.

Collapse -
I had a simuliar problem awhile back
by coopertt / January 17, 2006 6:20 AM PST

mine started when I first tried to access my online banking. Not only I could not get into my online banking but all of a sudden all my secure accounts where unaccessable.
I contacted the bank this is what they had me do
First to get back to where I was to be able to access my other secure account.
> delete all cookies
> re-access the account (BUT do not use favorites) type the url in
all was well at that point execpt accessing online banking
> They had to authorize me to access there secure environment.
at that point I got to everything. I know sounds weird but worked for me

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!