Laptops forum

General discussion

Help! How do I speak to am American at HP?

by aussieteef / September 17, 2005 7:50 PM PDT

I am having so many problems with HP's customer service number. Today and yesterday my husband and I have collectively spent 10 hours on the phone with them and still have no answers.

I politely but firmly asked for assistance from an American or Canadian service rep and was simply returned to the central call menu in a nightmare carousel of helpless and pointlessly repetative calls.

I desperately needed customer service as I had to give a presentation this morning to 300 people and my computer crashed with my presentation inside.

We purchased an extended 2 year warranty and now when we finally need some help they tell us that even though they can see our invoice number and date of purchase, we never sent back some crummy postcard so now i have to go locate my proof of purchase, fax it in and wait 2-3 weeks for processing before they can even help me! While 6 reps told us this, 2 reps told us that we are covered and didn't need to fax anything. Everytime we call we get a different story.

I finally took the notebook to Geek Squad at Best Buys (who were amazing) and they said my hard drive is caput, and I need a new one which should be covered by warranty.

HP should do America a favor - help rebuild the south from Hurricane Katrina and set up call centers there - offering jobs to Americans who have lost theirs recently. HP has lost me as a customer after 10 years of loyal patronage. Unfortunately for me, I still have to deal with their horrific customer (dis)service to repair/replace my notebook.

Anyone have any advice how I can speak to an American or get this sorted out? I have to take my National Board dental hygiene exams in a few weeks and can't be without a computer for very long!

Please help!
amerricka@gmail.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! How do I speak to am American at HP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! How do I speak to am American at HP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boiling down to the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 11:39 PM PDT

" I had to give a presentation this morning to 300 people and my computer crashed with my presentation inside. "

Let me be frank. I don't care about your issue with HP support. But I could discuss how to retrieve a file that you forgot to backup.

But that's not your topic so you appear to not want help on the real problems?

Can I ask why you don't backup?

Bob

Collapse -
If it's just the HD
by Technojunkie2 / September 18, 2005 1:00 AM PDT

that's dead, which is very likely, then I'd buy a new one and swap it in myself. Reload the OS from the CDs included with your notebook. Get HP to give you a RMA # for the drive, return it, and when its replacement comes dump it on eBay. I recommend buying a nice Seagate 5400RPM notebook drive, probably the 100GB model. That will be much faster than the 4200RPM drive HP probably sold you. Best Buy carries them, or check zipzoomfly.com. I'm surprised Geek Squad didn't suggest this to you, seems like easy money for them. If you swap the drive yourself there's probably an adaptor on the drive connector that you'll need to move to the new drive. Your replacing the HD will not void your warranty.

Yes, HP support is lousy, same as every big vendor. Even their American support reps aren't the sharpest pencils in the box though they're easier to understand than the Indians. Hopefully HP will get better now that Fiorina is gone. I still buy HP notebooks but then again I do most of my own tech support.

Collapse -
thank you for responding!
by aussieteef / September 18, 2005 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: If it's just the HD

your reply was very helpful. thank you very much for taking the time to respond. i will talk to geek squad about the seagate HD you recommended.

aussieteef.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?