General discussion

Help - how do I install Windows XP on a Netbook

I have a Dell Latitude C400 Netbook, but the HDD has gone down. I`m buying a replacement(60 GB)but how do I load Win XP with no disc drive, no apparent USB boot or even floppy drive?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help - how do I install Windows XP on a Netbook
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help - how do I install Windows XP on a Netbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
As you discovered.

You can't.

When you get the proper tools, then you can find web pages about installing this and other OSes.
Bob

- Collapse -
400 series Dells

The C400 and D400 Series of Dell Laptops use a Proprietary External Optical Drive in a module housing (I have Some)that plug into the upper left dual USB ports (lower port is USB; upper if module replicator/power. these external modules can house an optical drive, a floppy drive, a zip drive etc.

With this Module and an optical drive installed and attached you would be able to install your OS!!! A word of caution the D400 Series here ...There are no Video Drivers for Win7, but XP Pro behaves very nicely on a D400!

Personal note...I have a D400 1.6ghz with 1.5 Gig Ram 120 Gig HDD that purrs with either XP PRo or Vista. It will Run Win7 at basic resolution only (640X480) again no video drivers available for Intel 855GM chipset for Win7....but it does run

Bottom line ...I can supply the module and optical drive for your D400 so you can run it like the laptop it is, you can listen to your CD's and with "Power DVD" installed you can watch your Movies (you really will want a set of external speakers)

CNET Forums

Forum Info