General discussion

HELP! How do i get video off my HD camera? (tapes)

Hi!

I bought a Sony Handycam HDV over a year ago and havent ever been able to get the footage from these minidv (annoying tapes) only my computer :mad:

I tried going to a Sony store and they had no clue, told me to get an i-link cable. I got one off the internet and it doesn't fit in any of the ports Confused

pic of camera

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7469/img3069u.jpg

pic of ports
:
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1097/img3070u.jpg

Can anyone help advice me on how i can finally convert all my tapes to an .AVI or similar?

thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HELP! How do i get video off my HD camera? (tapes)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HELP! How do i get video off my HD camera? (tapes)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Model number appreciated,

but it looks like an HDR-HC3, 5, 7 or 9...

We've covered this a few times...

Connect the camcorder's DV port (not USB) to the firewire port (not USB) on the computer with a firewire cable.

If your computer has no firewire port, hopefully it has an available expansion slot so you can add one.

In this context, firewire, i.LINK, DV and IEEE1394 are all the same thing.

Firewire connectors can be:
4-pin (like the DV port on the camcorder);
6-pin;
9-pin.

We have no information on your computer.

USB-to-firewire cable/converter/adapter things don't work.

- Collapse -
And we'll need to know the

computer operating system and video editor you think you want to use.

With the camcorder in Play mode, launch the video editor. Capture or Import the video.

If you are a Windows user, chances are fairly high MovieMaker won't be able to deal with the HDV format video. Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere usually float to the top.

If you are a Macintosh user, iMovieHD '05 was the first version to deal with HDV format video.

- Collapse -
Capturing Digital Video from Sony MiniDV Camcorder to PC

Obviously you need a cable that will connect your camcorder to your computer. I believe it should connect the A/V out port on your camera and to either a USB or Firewire/1394 port on your computer. I am surprised that such a cable was not included with your camera. I would suggest either Pinnacle Studio or Adobe Premiere Elements (both available from Amazon or Best Buy) as the computer software to use in "capturing" the video from the camera to the computer. You can then edit as desired and create .avi or .mpeg files as output.

- Collapse -
downloading minidv tapes...

I think a cord came with the camera, but when I drop-kicked the darned thing, it broke permanently...and I had 2-3 tapes to download/copy...

I finally sent them off by mail to someplace in the midwest which copied them for $XX a tape and sent me DVDs...contents weren't worth what I paid, but I got my data!

Good luck...just 'google' something like 'minidv tape data recovery' and see what you get!

Marty

CNET Forums

Forum Info