Samsung forum

Question

Help: hooking up HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Entertainment System

by mikesbaron / January 12, 2013 3:21 AM PST

I'm a complete newbie and hate hooking up electronics. I have the above new Blu-ray surround system that I just hookedup but I'm not convinced it's hooked up correctly and to optimize the features and best sound/picture quality.

I'm trying to hookup my Direct TV receiver, Vizio 41" TV and X-box so I have great sound/picture and can use the speakers when I play X-Box.

Here is how I fumbled around to get it connected right now. It was the only way I could get the surround speakers to work (once I switched the Blu Ray to "AUX"):

TV: HDMI-1 is connected to the HDMI-1 on the Direct TV receiver.

Direct TV receiver: Audio Out (white and red) are connected to the Aux In (white and red) on the Blu Ray.

(I haven't even attempted to get the X-box hooked up yet.) From the above hookup it just seems like there should be a better quality way to connect the satellite up with HDMI cables instead of RCA cables.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help: hooking up HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Entertainment System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help: hooking up HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Entertainment System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Help: hooking up HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Theater
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2013 4:00 AM PST

Hi mikesbaron,

I generally recommend having everything coming in via HDMI to the home theater. Did you try the Direct TV to the home theater via HDMI?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Yes
by mikesbaron / January 14, 2013 5:10 AM PST

Yes I have HDMI going from TV to the Direct TV receiver. So then how do I get the sound to get from the Blue Ray to the TV so I can hear sound from their speakers?

Collapse -
Re: Help: hooking up HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Theater
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2013 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

Hi mikesbaron,

OK, sorry for seeming dense, but I'm still confused as to how your devices are currently connected: do you have Direct TV set-top box connected via HDMI-out to Blu-ray HDMI-in?

HD Tech

Collapse -
How it's hooked up.
by mikesbaron / January 15, 2013 10:32 AM PST

Direct TV receiver to Blu Ray with optical cable.

TV: have two HDMI cables coming out of that. One goes to HDMI OUT on the Direct TV receiver. Other goes to HDMI-IN on Blue Ray.

Collapse -
How it's currently connected.
by mikesbaron / January 15, 2013 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

Direct TV receiver hooked to the Blu Ray with Optical Cable.

TV: have two HDMI cables going out of that.
One goes to the HDMI-OUT on the Direct TV receiver.
Other goes to the HDMI-IN on the Blu Ray.

Collapse -
Re: Recommended Setup
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2013 3:38 AM PST

Hi mikesbaron,

OK, here's what I'd recommend:

Direct TV HDMI OUT to Home Theater system HDMI IN
XBOX HDMI OUT to Home Theater system HDMI IN

Home Theater System HDMI OUT to TV HDMI-IN

If you have trouble connecting other devices to the home theater, here's a guide: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=416075&modelname=HT-E5400&modelcode=HT-E5400%2FZA

And here's a guide for setting up the home theater to TV connection: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=415664&modelname=&modelcode=HT-E5400%2FZA

Let me know if you have any questions.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.