Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

HELP HELP RED ALERT HELP HELP

by cody11d12 / June 16, 2008 10:40 AM PDT

Hello my fellow internet users, I have a terrible problem which will get me grounded for the rest of the summer if I don't resolve this.
Well, I have been playing a game called "Soldier Front" and it hasn't been working properly. Being foolish, I though changing browsers would help my problem. I installed firefox, and now my mom is unhappy with my upgrade. I can't get internet explorer back and I need help! PLEASE!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP HELP RED ALERT HELP HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP HELP RED ALERT HELP HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please tell us more.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 8:20 PM PDT

Perhaps we can help you avoid the wrath of your mother and release you from this forthcoming grounding, Happy

But tell us more. Let us know a few specs of your computer, (it always helps), and tell us about this game. I take it that it is a browser based game? If so, what happened in Internet Explorer when you tried to play it?

Is it the game from here; http://sfront.ijji.com/ ? Does your system's specs match the System Requirements?

Have you tried their forums for help here; http://forums.ijji.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100 ?

Why doesn't Internet Explorer now work? Any error messages? What happens when you try to load IE? Which version of IE do you have?

Why is your Mom concerned about Firefox? It is not an 'upgrade' but is just another internet browser and you should be able to use both IE and Firefox at the same time. They don't clash, and don't interfere with each other.

In fact, if your mother is a cautious person, (most Moms are), you could try and let her know that many people, (myself included), consider Firefox to be inherently safer to use on the internet than IE. Internet Explorer is often the vehicle of choice for virus and spyware writers who use IE to install and distribute malware to unprotected computers. Firefox is considered much safer.

If all else fails and your Mom insists, (as Moms often do), have you tried System Restore?

Good luck. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
the solution
by henrydtv / June 17, 2008 1:30 AM PDT

The first thing you should do is make sure that there is no internet explorer link in the start menu under all programs.

If it's not there:

Then to get internet explorer back:
Go to Start-Control Pannel-and then "Add and Remove Programs"
Once it loads click "Add/Remove Windows Components"
A windows should pop up.
Now just make sure "internet explorer" is checked then click next and finish.

Then it should install

Otherwise you can go to google and search for internet explorer, and download it from the microsoft website.

IF that doesn't work for some unknown reason then you have to do this:

Open your hard drive from my computer. Then go into the windows folder.

NOW this is very important, be sure that your computer is showing hidden folders. If you don't see a folder called "ie7" then you don't have hidden folders enabled. To enable hidden folders-click Tools-folder options-view-then check "show hidden files and folders". Then you should find the folder. inside the folder is a shortcut to internet explorer.

Cheers, hope that helps
henry

Collapse -
I can't get Internet explorer back
by Coryphaeus / June 17, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

Please be more explicit.

Is it gone as in uninstalled?

Is it still there but the shortcuts are gone?

Is it not set as the default browser?

How do you know it's gone?

Tell more, please.

Collapse -
IE gone
by billpr / June 19, 2008 4:27 PM PDT

Come now, the truth. What did you lose, all the great Favorites and bookmarks. Why such a panic? Next time say "I started the computer and no IE7. Gone. Blame something or someone. Blame Microsoft, they expect it. Make this easy, don't get into system and hidden files. IE7 is not easily uninstaller if it even can be. Don't even think about that however it does not matter. Do the easy and safe thing, you have a working browser, get on the Internet and go to Microsoft.com. Get out there and if you don't find yourself tripping over offers for IE7 downloads and installs make sure you are at the right place. Hate to say this but you may even need to look around a bit so do that if need be. Find a search box and type in your need you will get there. Microsoft will lead you right through the process including setting the default browser and getting things back to normal. If you can handle Firefox and that game you can do this. You did it now stop whining and get to Microsoft. Then tell us what is really wrong. Good luck and I am just playing with you. This is easy. If this is all you need then I don't much care to read your specs. That is appropriate but not always needed. Its a function of having good methodical habits.

Collapse -
Not A Big Problem
by slaird46 / June 20, 2008 2:01 PM PDT

It is virtually impossible to (completely) uninstall Internet Explorer. You probably unintentionally (or intentionally) made Firefox the default browser when you installed it.

Open the start menu. Click on All Programs (at the bottom). If the list isn't sorted alphabetically, right click on any item and select "Sort by name." You'll see that most of the entries have a folder to the left of them. Then, at the end of the list there will be some listings that just have the icon for the program next to the name. Look there for Internet Explorer. I'll bet you a nickle you find it.

Click on internet explorer, and it should start up with a message that it's not the default browser and asking you if you want to make it the default browser. Click on "yes."

Then, the next time you run Firefox to play your game, it will give you the same message and question. Tell it "no" and tell it to not ask you again.

From that point on, whenever you or your mom clicks on an html link, Internet Explorer will open and show you the page.

If Internet Explorer is NOT in the list of programs, I owe you a nickle, and you can go to www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx and download and install the latest version.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?