TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help Help Help Please!!!

I am in the process of building a house and no Dry wall has been put up yet. So this leads you to think what's this question about.

Well I am trying to have my TV above my fireplace but I do not want the cable box anywhere near the TV. In fact I would like the box to be in the basement. Now the big question is, How can I change channels if the box is in the basement? Dish networks boxes has a wireless antenna and can go that far but not Comcast. I know IR extender will help but I will need a line of sight that means a very very long IR extender cable which is not sold in stores. Please advice as to what I should do to get this working properly. I need to get this done by Saturday.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help Help Help Please!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help Help Help Please!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need a good IR/RF Harmony remote

In reply to: Help Help Help Please!!!

with an IR blaster. Radio frequencies go through walls and then the IR blaster turns the necessary signals back into infrared. The top of the line Harmony will do the trick.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: You need a good IR/RF Harmony remote

So if I just get the remote it will do the job? no extra parts need installed on the box? because the box will be in the basement and TV upstairs above fireplace?

Collapse -
Nothing else needs to be installed

In reply to: Thank you

Just be aware that depending on the harmony remote you get and the connection which is extra for it, you are talking a couple hundred dollars for that remote. Don't get me wrong it is completely worth it in my opinion just be aware that if you "just get the remote" it will work, but it aint cheap. Anywhere from 300 and up most likely depending on where you get it.

Collapse -
Check the specs here:

In reply to: Thank you

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Check the specs here:

Thank you all for your help I appreciate it. I will get working on this today.

Collapse -
(NT) Your welcome. Good luck.

In reply to: Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.