Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Help...have I wasted money?...(posted in one other forum)

by hpck1969 / December 27, 2007 2:39 PM PST

Sorry for the double posting, posted in the other one, then found this one. But here is my post

I bought my son a Sandisk Sansa Clip MP3 player and an iTunes Gift Card to put music on the player. I have downloaded 2 songs for him and are now having problems getting the player to load them. Am I just not loading them right, or is it the case that the MP3 player and the iTunes Apple/Mac formats (M4P) aren't compatible? I am trying to do all this from my Gateway Windows Vista version PC.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help...have I wasted money?...(posted in one other forum)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help...have I wasted money?...(posted in one other forum)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yep
by JonTitor / December 27, 2007 2:51 PM PST

iTunes only works with iPods

Collapse -
*sigh*
by hpck1969 / December 27, 2007 2:59 PM PST
In reply to: yep

I was afraid that that someone was going to tell me that. Is there away around it? Is there a converter someplace?

Collapse -
uh...yeah
by ktreb / December 27, 2007 3:15 PM PST

While AAC is not really an Apple/Mac format, the Clip supports neither protected nor unprotected (iTunes Plus) tracks from the iTunes store. However, if they are iTunes Plus tracks you can easily convert them to mp3 format. Otherwise, you could burn them to an audio cd then rip them back on to your computer. But you'll have to edit the artist/album information as the songs will show up as various artists/compilation album or something like that.

See link for supported formats:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2456)-SDMX11R-2048K-A70-SanDisk_Sansa_Clip_MP3_Player_2GB__Black.aspx

All is not lost. The Clip is a great little player. While I'm a multiple iPod user (I have 6), I bought 2 Clips for myself. I got the 2GB version really cheap at Best Buy Thanksgiving weekend. So cheap I had to buy 2. You could buy a Rhapsody to go subscription - access to Rhapsody's entire catalog (millions of songs!!!!) for a little over $13 a month when bought in 3 month increments. Sure, you don't own the songs -- once you stop paying, they stop playing and you can't burn them to cd -- but try buying all that music on your own.

You could also buy songs from Amazon.com's MP3 downloads. No pesky DRM, so you can play them on any player - on the Clip, iPods, Zunes, etc.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
uh...yeah
by ktreb / December 27, 2007 3:15 PM PST

While AAC is not really an Apple/Mac format, the Clip supports neither protected nor unprotected (iTunes Plus) tracks from the iTunes store. However, if they are iTunes Plus tracks you can easily convert them to mp3 format. Otherwise, you could burn them to an audio cd then rip them back on to your computer. But you'll have to edit the artist/album information as the songs will show up as various artists/compilation album or something like that.

See link for supported formats:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2456)-SDMX11R-2048K-A70-SanDisk_Sansa_Clip_MP3_Player_2GB__Black.aspx

All is not lost. The Clip is a great little player. While I'm a multiple iPod user (I have 6), I bought 2 Clips for myself. I got the 2GB version really cheap at Best Buy Thanksgiving weekend. So cheap I had to buy 2. You could buy a Rhapsody to go subscription - access to Rhapsody's entire catalog (millions of songs!!!!) for a little over $13 a month when bought in 3 month increments. Sure, you don't own the songs -- once you stop paying, they stop playing and you can't burn them to cd -- but try buying all that music on your own.

You could also buy songs from Amazon.com's MP3 downloads. No pesky DRM, so you can play them on any player - on the Clip, iPods, Zunes, etc.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
sorry for the double posting
by ktreb / December 27, 2007 3:16 PM PST
In reply to: uh...yeah

I got an error message, so I resubmitted....only to find out that it did post.

Collapse -
hhmm
by hpck1969 / December 27, 2007 3:36 PM PST

Burning them to CD and ripping them back?!?! (Sorry, novice speaking here.) Do I just follow the "wizard" on Windows Media or should I use another device or make sure special settings are done when I do this. I don't mind having to manually do titles to the song files...as long as I can get music on my sons player...using the iTunes gift card...for obvious Christmas time financial set backs.

Collapse -
A few things to learn, I see
by freeway8989 / December 27, 2007 4:50 PM PST
In reply to: hhmm

Um, there are no wizards involved. Burning and ripping are very common and easy-to-do processes in the mp3 world.

Burning:

Burning is simply the process of taking songs on a computer and placing them on a blank CD. It's how songs get onto a CD that would at the store. To burn songs, you simply need a blank CD (which you may either have lying around the house, or can buy in bulk at a local electronics store), and a computer that has a CD or DVD burner (all recent computers have at least a CD burner, so this shouldn't be an issue). You simply pop the disk into the computer, open up iTunes, place all the songs that you want to transfer to the Clip in a separate playlist, and then select the playlist on the side column. When you select the playlist, a button should appear in the bottom right corner that says "Burn Disc." Press that burn and let iTunes do the rest. When iTunes says that the process is complete, eject the disc, and there you go--you have those songs stored on that CD.

Ripping:

Ripping is equally as easy, if not, easier. You simply open up a different media program, such a Windows Media Player, and then insert the disc. You go to the tab thats says "Rip" and the tracks should appear as "Track 1", "Track 2", and so on. Then simply press "Start Rip" in the bottom right hand corner, and WMP will do the rest. Once done, you simply edit the track info and can sync the songs to the Clip use the "Sync" tab in WMP.

The whole point of this is to bypass iTunes. Tracks purchased on iTunes are encoded with DRM that make them incompatible with anything other than iTunes/iPod. This is the case unless you purchase DRM-free "iTunes plus" songs.

You can think about it this way: Through burning, you are helping the songs "escape" the prison that is iTunes. And by ripping, you are "relocating" those "prisoner" into a "refuge," which in this case is WMP.

Collapse -
Sorry for the typos
by freeway8989 / December 27, 2007 4:55 PM PST

You made a good choice with the Sansa Clip. The sound quality on the Clip is supurb and for the price, you can't go wrong. Throw in the fact that it actually has a screen, and the Clip is, by far, a better choice than the iPod Shuffle.

Collapse -
To get your paid songs over CNet tells how at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2007 11:21 PM PST
Collapse -
Thank you, Thank you!
by hpck1969 / December 28, 2007 2:48 AM PST

You all are a present saver!!

Off to do some burning and ripping. If I get stuck, I know where to come for help.

Collapse -
Copy CD
by Cindy Joffrion / December 28, 2007 2:51 AM PST

I have tried this and it works well.

Collapse -
Your Sansa mp3 player
by lakamoso / January 7, 2009 9:40 AM PST

I bought the same mp3 player on Black Friday. As you know now from the other posts already, you can't use itunes with the Sansa mp3 player but, I've been using a music service called SpiralFrog.com, it's 100% free and legal downloads. It's legal because, their is some advertising on the website, and SpiralFrog pays a % of the advertising dollars to the artists on the site. They don't have every artist, but they do have quite a bit, from rock to rap, to blues, to comedy, etc... and it works just fine with the Sansa clip. Like I said, it's free so what the heck, just tell your son not to click any of the bs advertisement's and you'll be fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?