Computer Help forum

General discussion

HELP! hard drive suddenly stopped working

by decaydance99 / March 22, 2010 4:07 PM PDT

i had a 120 gb IDE hard drive in my old computer with xp installed and was gonna format it so i can use it as a slave drive. i put it in my new computer with is running windows 7 as a slave drive and it read it fine. when i clicked on it to back up the files it said i had to format it so i decided that i did not need the files because i had backed up them up online. then it gave me a option for fat 32 or ntfs and i had no idea so it was set to ntfs so i decided to go with that. now my computer will not even recognized i looked in my bios and it wont show up

did i screw up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! hard drive suddenly stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! hard drive suddenly stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Almost all my Deskstar 120GB drives failed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

It only was a matter of time.

If it doesn't show in the BIOS, that's what you fix first.
Bob

Collapse -
thank you
by decaydance99 / March 23, 2010 3:13 AM PDT

if you would be so kind to help me sir that would be great.

o yah i forgot to say thins (dont know if its any importance) when i tried to format the drive in 7 it came up with a error saying something like error can not complete the format?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2010 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

But it looks like the drive has failed. When the BIOS doesn't report it you check your work as to connections and then try another drive. Sorry if that doesn't help.
Bob

Collapse -
Dang
by decaydance99 / March 23, 2010 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

i used the same ide cable and the same power connector on another hard drive and it worked just fine.

so is my drive borken?

Collapse -
Hope?
by decaydance99 / March 23, 2010 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Dang

so i pluged the defective hard drive to my computer as a slave drive when i do that and boot into 7, it does not boot right. like it takes a long time and says please instert boot disk. so i guess my computer is seeing that a hard drive is there right?

Collapse -
It doesn't sound good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2010 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope?

If you are trying to save your files, then do that. But if a machine doesn't list the drive in the BIOS there is a problem with drive or machine. I can't tell what was on the old 120GB drive. I read this post and it didn't sound like it was an OS drive or that Windows 7 was on the old 120GB drive.
Bob

Collapse -
Note
by decaydance99 / March 23, 2010 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: It doesn't sound good.

Sorry bob if I mislead you I have no desire to get the files off the old 120 gb drive. Originally the drive had xp installed in a old computer. I got a new desktop hp and put the old drive in the computer as a slave my new computer ( windows 7) read the drive and installed the driver And it read it perfectley. When I clicked on it to access it the computer said u need to format the drive so I did but then it came up with the error "unable to complete format" then I restarted my computer to see if the drive came up as a slave drive and it didn't show up. I connected the 120gb as a slave drive also running windows 7 and the drive still did not come up in bios.

The drive still spinns so it's getting power
so i guess the question I have is, is there any hope to use the drive Any more?. I just don't see how that could break my drive.
Thanks)

Collapse -
Try the jumper as Cable Select.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2010 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Note

Most new machines use this newer setting. See if that works.

Collapse -
?
by decaydance99 / March 23, 2010 3:15 PM PDT

What new setting?

Collapse -
Sorry I didn't read the title
by decaydance99 / March 23, 2010 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: ?

I get it. Ok so should I try that as the only drive in the computer or along the main hard drive

Collapse -
Re: HELP! hard drive suddenly stopped working
by Windows7Guy / March 30, 2010 2:56 AM PDT

Hello decaydance99,

It depends on the version of Windows 7 that you have. As a good rule of thumb a minimum of 30GB is recommended for Windows 7 *(possibly more for Windows Ultimate).
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it requires:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Some Additioinal information with regard to the "system reserved" Partition in Windows 7 setup:

If you do not want the 'System Reserved' partition to be created and existed, the best way is to stop Windows 7 installation process to create the partition when installing Windows 7.

In Windows 7, the feature (100 MB partition to store WinRE files) is installed on all computers if the OS is installed on hard disk with single partition scheme, or unallocated space (space which not yet been partitioned) on the hard disk drive.

Thus in order to skip or avoid the 100M partition to be automatically created during installation, here?s a few rules to follow when choosing where to install Windows 7 to:

1. Do not install Windows 7 to a hard disk that not yet been partitioned or to unallocated space (When install Windows 7 to unallocated space, no warning pop-up or confirmation is asked, and setup will straight away and directly create partition 200 MB of disk space as special partition without notification).

2. If possible, try to create all the necessary partition(s) and format the partition(s) before attempting to install Windows 7.

3. If you?re installing Windows 7 into a new hard disk, or a blank hard disk with no partition defined yet, or if you must delete all existing partitions to start afresh, chose Drive options (advanced). Delete (if applicable) unwanted partitions. Then, click New to create the single partition or multiple partitions according to your own preference.

When prompted with dialog box saying ?To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files?, click on Cancel button. Optionally, to be double confirm, Format the partition before selecting it to install Windows 7

Finally, if you want to do some research; there are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7, installation, migration and upgrade decisions located at our Springboard site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Thanks again and good luck!

John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?