Cameras forum

Question

HELP, half of my photo is black??

by BrandiCarballo / February 5, 2014 3:59 AM PST

I am having a problem with my Canon 5D mark ii, I am taking some indoor food photos with off camera flashes and half of my photo (the bottom half) is black, as if it is obstructed. I don't know if my shutter release isn't opening all the way. Here is the weird part, if I go stand in my window and take a picture of the house across the street it is fine. But taking a photo indoors, half the photo is black. The exposure on the other half is perfect, with a very definitive line. I changed lenses and have the same problem with both lenses (both Canons, one 70-200mm and the other 50mm). It doesn't matter what angle I shoot at or how close I am to the subject, even if I point it at the backdrop I still get this problem. I have moved my flashes around, the entire area is well lit. I also have an overhead light, this is not a shadow. I have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Please help, if you have any ideas I would really appreciate it.

~Brandi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP, half of my photo is black??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP, half of my photo is black??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My guess is the mirror is not swinging all the way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 4:12 AM PST

I don't have this 5D but another t3i and I might try the video output to some HDTV to see if this shows up there. I won't duplicate the fine manual on that but if this happened to me I suspect the mirror isn't swinging fully and given how more light can change a lens' iris diaphragm I can visualize how this could happen. Such repair is best left to Canon.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Focal-plane shutter
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 6:28 AM PST

That camera uses a Focal-plane shutter and it sounds as if you are using a shutter speed that Is too fast. for flash.
There is a maximum shutter speed for flash. If you exceed that speed you get exactly what you describe.

I don't know the maximum shutter speed for your camera, but I have a Canon 20D and it is 1/250th second.
The most common speed is 1/60th of a second.

You can read about it in your User Manual or here is a link that covers the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal-plane_shutter

Collapse -
You got it - thank you!
by BrandiCarballo / February 5, 2014 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: Focal-plane shutter

Yes, this was my problem, thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?