HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

HELP! Hacked? e-mail Spam?

by ladytrickster / January 22, 2012 10:48 PM PST

I'm still a 'dummie' & don't know what to do! HELP! I've been hacked??? Spam? All the contacts on my list are getting multiple copies of junk or dangerous messages w/link inside from my MSN(Hotmail) e-mail. When I tried to sign in Windows Live - My Account Has Been Blocked. RESET my password & now I can sign-in & access my e-mail acct. But I don't know WHAT TO DO NEXT. I run MS Security Essentials, Ad-Aware, never save my password at any sites, and keep up maintenance. What are the *outcomes* of this event? Should I cancel all my credit cards? (some online purchases but no online banking). Win XP SP3. main browser (don't laugh) MSN, sometimes IE. older Dell, OS is wearing out. What To Do Next? Thanks. -ginni

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Hacked? e-mail Spam?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Hacked? e-mail Spam?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not uncommon, hit me about two weeks ago . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 23, 2012 3:08 AM PST

it happens to the best of us. Be sure to change that password to something hard.

I sent another email to all my contacts explaining what happened.

Collapse -
HELP! Hacked? "Not Uncommon"
by ladytrickster / January 23, 2012 5:26 AM PST

Thanks for the encouraging note that this 'event' happens to others. I changed all my e-mail passwords & Windows Live password. I'm about to send out those letters to my friends to explain - but I'm hesitant to send anything from my e-mail til I know this bug is gone. ??Is it safe now, to use my e-mail, just by changing the password?? Was any information 'stolen' from me that I need to follow up on?
rsvp those 2. thanks muchly. - ginni

Collapse -
It's not a bug in your system . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 23, 2012 11:56 AM PST

Your email address and password was used by a third party. I sweated bullets over mine and found nothing. When they hacked your password they sent out the emails. Your home system is safe if you've run your scans.

Collapse -
HELP! Hacked? Not a System Bug
by ladytrickster / January 24, 2012 9:29 AM PST

Thanks muchly for all your help on this simple-for-others issue. Still need to know (since my password was 'stolen'): Do I need to change *all the many other places* where I've used the same password?

Collapse -
this should help your email issue...
by ctadams10462 / January 27, 2012 10:54 AM PST

Hello, This has happened to quite a few people including me. Having your email hacked has nothing to do with your pc as its completely online unless you use Microsoft Outlook or something. Change passwords, you said you did that. If you use same email and passwords for other accounts id change them as well. Next put aaa@aaa.com in the contact list of the hacked email as well as any other email you have as this helps prevent anything from going out as it stops at the top of the contact list with a fictitious address. Not knowing what you have for software to fight viruses and such ill just suggest some. Avg free anti virus works very well. You can only have one anti virus program in a pc at a time or they will conflict so if you have something you paid for, use it till it expires. next google Superantispyware free edition. Its for just malware/spyware. it works very very well and malware/spyware is the culprit for lots of pc issues. this is not an antivirus so you can have this in compliment with your antivirus of your choosing and it pretty much is manually run so you will have to update and run it yourself. You shouldnt need to cancel any credit cards unless you had emails with the entire number still in your in box or somewhere. lastly if you ever have pc issues try starting your computer in safe mode (runs the pc with the bare minimum so virus/malware programs can find more stuff) this is done by hitting F8 multiple times as soon as you push the power button. This can be a tedious task and may take a few tries. Next youll get a black and white screen, arrow down to the safe mode and hit enter. your computer will look funny but will help you find more stuff and will return to normal upon reboot.

Collapse -
YES!
by FBLDSYT / January 27, 2012 11:56 AM PST

if your "other places" passwords are the same as the password you used to access your email....do change your "other places" passwords

Collapse -
Answer
After you gain access to your account again
by tinman1275 / January 27, 2012 11:22 PM PST

, make sure to check your alternate email addresses, usually the hacker adds his own to the list so any time you send a password reset link he gets one too and can change the password again. Also check all the other personal info as well, like phone #, birth date, and secret questions, usually it all is changed. This happened to my girlfriend and it took us 3 weeks to get it sorted out, every morning she would be locked out again, so she would reset the password, and a few hours later the hacker would reset it again. He was nice enough to delete all her contacts as well, so backup yours if you can, just in case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.