Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Help getting printer working with laptop in wireless network

by ezatnova / March 12, 2008 10:16 AM PDT

PC with printer attached is Windows XP Home SP2. Running McAfee. Printers have "enable sharing" turned on (the little hand icon appears). Laptop is Vista Home Premium. Running Norton. When I tell the laptop to search for printers on the wireless network, it never finds them.

I should note that my previous laptop (Windows XP) never had an issue connecting to the same PC's same printers that I am trying to connect to now. Very strange. Is this a Vista -> XP issue? I have poked around in the McAfee setting and I don't see anything obviuos blocking the printer sharing. Also, as I mentioned, it worked fine with my old laptop, and I haven't touched the McAfee settings.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help getting printer working with laptop in wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help getting printer working with laptop in wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you install that Vista thing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 10:34 AM PDT

There's a special thing to be installed for it to cooperate in a mixed Vista XP setup. See the forum sticky.

Collapse -
Vista thing
by ezatnova / March 12, 2008 11:47 AM PDT

Interesting. I don't know about this Vista thing. I'll try and find it in the sticky and give it a whirl.

Collapse -
Forum sticky
by PudgyOne / March 12, 2008 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Vista thing
Collapse -
Still can't find printers
by ezatnova / March 13, 2008 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Forum sticky

OK, I installed that patch on the XP machine via the link to Microsoft in the sticky. Restarted the pc and checked on the laptop...still doesn't find the shared printers plugged into the PC. The PC DOES show up on the Vista network map. However, when I click the PC's icon, it just opens up Media Player and accesses the media I have on that computer (which I was able to do before that patch as well).
Help!

Collapse -
Oh, you have norton.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 10:35 AM PDT

It's firewall is likely blocking it. And it will do little good to disable it since in some versions even disabled it still blocks the share.

-> Go try NETWORK MAGIC too.

Collapse -
Anyone?
by ezatnova / March 13, 2008 9:44 PM PDT

Norton is on the laptop that I'm trying to search with. I have "share printers and folders" enabled. Anyone know a step by step I can follow to be able to print from my laptop?

Collapse -
The steps are too many.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Anyone?

While we can cover accounts, permissions, firewalls and more PLEASE go try Network Magic. The demo is free and often corrects what was overlooked.
Bob

Collapse -
Network Magic?
by ezatnova / March 14, 2008 12:10 AM PDT

Will this program interfere/overwrite, or conflict with Norton in any way?
Which machine do I need to run this thing on, the PC or the laptop?

Collapse -
(NT) Please try it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Network Magic?
Collapse -
Question about network magic
by ezatnova / March 14, 2008 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Please try it.

Will this program interfere/overwrite, or conflict with Norton in any way?
Which machine do I need to run this thing on, the PC or the laptop?

Collapse -
Let's hope it does!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 1:26 AM PDT

Norton is likely the reason you haven't got it working.

Again, Network Magic removes the need for you to learn about accounts, permissions, firewalls, network names and more. If you want to do it manually, please check each area in depth.

Bob

Collapse -
Only "Media Devices" recognized
by ezatnova / March 13, 2008 9:48 PM PDT

In case it helps, I want to reinforce that even after I installed the "vista thing" on the xp machine, my laptop shows the pc as "Media Devices"...not like a real computer I can click into and brose te shared folders and printers, like I used to be able to do with my old xp laptop.
If I click the PC's icon, it just opens WMP because it thinks it's a Media Device!

Collapse -
another thing
by ezatnova / March 14, 2008 12:11 AM PDT

Also, the PC can see the laptop fine, and all of its shared folders...just not the laptop->PC (and hence the printers)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?