Help for Windows2000Pro setup network??

by starz342 / November 22, 2009 12:01 PM PST

Hi,
this is my first post here so please bear with me while I try to
explain my troubles here.

I have a windowsXp home version, that is connected up via a
linksys-G Wireless Router, and Zoom cable modem, and these 2 are
connected Via a Ethernet cable in the back of my pc, and I therefore
have the broadband connection. That part is alright.

Now I also have a desktop Pc with the the windows version of:
windows2000 profesional Service pack 4.
I brought the Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Model Number WUSB54GC
as this older Pc does Not have any Ethernet plug-in jacks only has
the USB ports in the back of it.

THis is now the trouble I am having, I went to try to install the
software but the cd version is only set up for WINDOWS xp or Windows
vista.
SO I went to linksys site and they said download this driver version
1.1 so I did that but still can not get into the manager section
in order to set up the connection to my other PC.

I am trying to have 1 broadband connection to share between these
2 pcs and also so that each can do there own surfing or what ever
online as if they both had there own connections like they did with
AOL dial up?

I have the Cisco Network Magic set up on my WindowsXP home pc
and choose the part on : add a device, I then chose the part that said
a older version pc then windows xp and it said go to the other
pc and enter in the SSID name and wireless security key etc
but again I can Not seem to be able to do any of this on the
windows2000Pro desktop PC.
So I am so hoping that I have given enough info here at this forum so
that someone here with more know how then me can please be so kind
as to guide me on how to proceed to get these 2 pc's networked?

thanks so much and I will eagerly await the replies to hopefully move
forward with this.

libby

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help for Windows2000Pro setup network??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help for Windows2000Pro setup network??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry to read that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2009 11:17 PM PST

But as long as the OS is not supported you should see troubles.

Try using ethernet or research some wireless bridge device.
Bob

Collapse -
still need some further help with this issues please
by starz342 / November 23, 2009 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry to read that.

Hi Bob,

I had read that it was possiable to network a windows2000 professional
into a windows xp home edition network?

But again I do not have any way to enter in the SSID into the windows2000 professional PC, I can go into the network area via the
control panel and it allows me to create new connections but again I
do not know what needs to be entered into these fields to get this older pc to network over to my windowsXP deskto pc that is already
wired with the wireless router and the zoom modem and then wired in the back of the pc via a ethernet plug that then runs into the wireless router as well.

I can see the this Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter when I go into my
device manager and it say's that it is working properly up under
the Windows2000 Pro DeskTop pc,

but I am stuck as to how I can move forward and network this pc to pull the wireless connection from my wireless router that is hooked up to my other Desktop PC that is running under the windows XP Home edition and hard wired via the
ethernet cable at the back of the WindowsXp desktop pc.

I was going to try this method described here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup
/addwin2k.mspx

or even this method if the above was not possiable:
the ad hoc network--method???

See this windows2000 professional with servicePack4 installed
does NOT have a ethernet jack in the back of it, it only has
the USB ports which was why I got the Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter
to therefor pull the internet connection from my broadband other desktop pc.

so once again please I am hoping that there is a way that I can proceed with the adapter that I already have and still be able to net
work these 2 pcs?
I will once again await any and all replies into this topic for further help with these issues and hopefully some steps that I can try.

libby

Collapse -
I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2009 7:28 AM PST

Since the driver is missing we can't setup the wifi using Windows 2000's control panel. XP gained that feature and it was never added to Windows 2000.

I must have missed what make, model machine this is. Sorry about that. I would have offered another possible item or solution if I had that.
Bob

Collapse -
Here are the makes and Models info for these Machines
by starz342 / November 23, 2009 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: I have to go with no.

Hi Bob,

So sorry I thought I put the make and model of this machine down on my first post that was my fault.

The pc that has the windows2000 professional service pack 4 on it is a
computer x86 family model 7 stepping 3, AT/AT compatible, the outer case says this: compaq DeskPro, system: microsoft windows 2000 professional 5.00.2195 service pack 4. I took all of this info from inside the control panel under System.

Now see there is also what is called a Network Id Wizard to join a domain and create a local user as well for this Windows 2000 machine.

THE DRIVER for the Compact Wireless-G Usb Adapter is installed when I check via the Device Manager Folder within the Pc itself.

It is just the software that came with the USB driver to do a software install via there CD did not install, so I had to go to the linksys website and download the driver for the 1.1 version and that driver did install and then I was able to put the cd into the Pc and let it then update the driver as well with the one that came on the Cd install disk,

but that is as far as I can go with doing it via the install Cd as their manager section part is what is not compatable with my Windows2000 Professional DeskTop PC. So that is why I need some guidance as to how I can further network this pc to my other PC but do it the manual way via the control panel networking sections if that helps to further explain what I am trying to achieve here?

it also say's ( the driver) is working properly when I check this in the device manager section, but again I can not seem to however get a wireless connection from this PC over to my other DeskTop Pc that is hooked up with the Wireless G Broadband Router, and the zoom modem, which is hard wired into that pc via the Ethernet cable to one end
in the router, and the other end is connected to that Ethernet jack of the Pc itself.

The PC that has the Ethernet Jack is also running WindowsXp home Edition, and is connected to Broadband as well, without any issues to it.
That machine that is running the broadband router, the cable modem and the BroadBand connection is this type of machine:

It is a hp Pavilion, with Service Pack 3 installed, Has the Home Windows Xp Version 2002
And 376 MB Of Ram, Pentium (R) 4 cpu 1.60 GHz

I hope this better helps those that read this to please further help me to as to how I can get these 2 pcs networked and sharing the same BroadBand internet connection as well as seem like still 2 seperate machines if that makes sense, please forgive me most of this language is still very new to me so hope I am speaking it right?

look forward to further help with this issue and thanks so much thus far for the replies appreciate it.

Libby

Collapse -
Let me try again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2009 11:07 AM PST

On Windows 2000 we can not "do it the manual way via the control panel networking sections" because there is no controls there for the wifi card.

Fast forward to Windows XP and MSFT added the Wireless Zero Configuration which you may have seen. But this never appears in Windows 2000 so we are dependent on the vendor's utility.

The network id wizard only applies to the ethernet connections in 2000 so that's just a false hope.

I used one of this a year ago on Windows 2000 -> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TL-WN422G&cat=NET

There are many others like this out there that do support WIndows 2000.
Bob

Collapse -
Which one then do I need here please?
by starz342 / November 23, 2009 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: Let me try again.

Hi Bob,

thank you very much for that link, I did go there but forgive me if this sounds dumb, but which one on that page would work then to get these 2 pcs connected?

Also I do have a few other questions if you can further help me i would really once again appreciate the help and guidance.
(1) would this software here:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3676049&CAWELAID=354930878
do the job since I already have the wireless router amd modem, I already also have a extra ethernet wire here with jacks on both ends?

(2) Or do I need to install this type of adapter:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ethernet+card&cid=6382716216506762212#p

(3) Or do I need to also install a wireless card?

I am only asking as when I go to the PC store they keep trying to sell me more and more gadgets I call them like that wireless adapter there that now I have discovered thank to coming here is useless to me and that windows2000 PC set up.

How can I check if I already have any of these things like the wireless card or the ethernet card that someone else said I also needed for this pc to see if they are already in this pc here at the moment?

I thak you so very much Bob for taking the time out to help me try to get this all sorted it once again is very much appreciated by me
I will await your next reply back

Libby

Collapse -
I apologize
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 4:43 AM PST

In advance.

Item 1. You ask about software then supply a link to hardware. That confuses me. You might be asking if this would work on Windows 2000 or if you could get that and use the software from that to what you have. I can't tell from your post what you intended.

Item 2. Again this seems to confuse me as it's not the same adapter type as we were discussing. Why bring in yet another adapter when you found one in item 1? I'm lost trying to figure out what you are truly trying to do.

Item 3. Now there's a simple question. The answer is "Install what has Windows 2000 drivers and support." This is what stopped the first product from working.

-> I offered the computer geeks.com item because I used that one recently and it worked fine. I no longer have it because it went to my brother some 3000 miles away. He says it still works fine. It also has that nifty detachable antenna that he added a better antenna to.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi and sorry for the confusion on this
by starz342 / November 27, 2009 5:11 PM PST
In reply to: I apologize

Hi,
I was asking about using this different type of adapter for the windows 2000 pro set up PC since my current adapter here
(the one by linksys as well that I listed in my 2nd post,but) also the one that will not work for my windows 2000 pro PC.

(2) I gave the link to the 2nd adapter as well as the first adapter link above to ask which out of the 2 would work for me here again for the windows2000 PC to be able to network it to my other PC set up which has the windows xp home edition on it.

Forgive me that I called it software and not hardware, my mistake there on that part, its been a long night trying to sort these 2 pcs out and I called it wrong there.

(3) You had said:
I offered the computer geeks.com item because I used that one recently and it worked fine"

that part there is what I was mainly asking on for that link you provided.
As that link you provided me(Thank you once again for that part of it) got me a bit confused as there was several items listed on that page, so I was asking you specifically which item did you use there off that site please?

And to further ask on this link and site please, how did you order it from there?

I again am only asking this as I have never heard of the place but since you have been kind enough to share the link with me and mentioned that you had ordered the item from them, that you could please pass that info onto me here so that I can proceed to purchase the same exact item that I would need to once again be able to use the hardware that is compatible with the PC that has the Windows2000Pro set up on it.

thank you and once again I will await your reply back into this post and thread to further guide me as to the above 2 different Hard-Ware links I provided,

And has well as the link you gave me for the geek.com site and the exact hardware that I could try to purchase if the 2 above links do not seem to fit for what I am trying to achieve here,

which is to once again be able to network my Windows2000Pro Desktop PC to my Windows Xp Home Edition Desktop PC.

They can be Networked wireless or wired if need be just want the simple steps to be able to network the 2 of them together since they both have different Windows operating systems on them.

the only reason I ended up with the wireless adapter to begin with was due to the best-buy store here telling me that I needed it to network the 2 pcs after I had already purchased the wireless router and the wireless modem, but those 2 mentioned above are wired via the ethernet wired into the back of the router and the other end plugged into the back of the pc with the windowsxp home edition on it. So I am assuming this is what is referred to as wired? please do correct me if I got it wrong as I said this is a new language to me at the moment still learning it all.

thanks
Libby

Collapse -
My advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 12:38 AM PST

Start a NEW discussion and keep it short and simple.

For instance, tell what network you have:
"I have cable modem connected to a Netgear W999 wifi router setup with defaults, other machines work fine."

Tell how you intend to connect the Windows 2000 machine:
"I have a Windows 2000 HP v2929 desktop with an ethernet port that I will run ethernet cable to the wifi W999 router on port 2"

Ask a question:
"What settings would I use on the Windows 2000 TCPIP panel?"

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!