Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

help for two trojan viruses

i am on windowsXP and i run avg6.0... the other day i ran avg and it notified me of one trojan virus, i moved it into the virus vault and closed avg...next i realized i could not open any other programs on my computer due to the message cannot find "program" exe.
i cannot download adaware or anything else because it wont open due to the .exe message...i have received two alerts from avg for trojans: downloader,small.6.L, and backdoor.webdor.B....i cannot open avg or disable system restore...can anyone please help? thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help for two trojan viruses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help for two trojan viruses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:help for two trojan viruses

In reply to: help for two trojan viruses

Hi mark38

Check your windows task manager; normally
an active trojan will show in there ; select "end task" and close it

Then go here: http://www.moosoft.com/products/cleaner/download/

and download The Cleaner Professional 4.1 - after download - look for UPDATES first then run it.

HTH

Collapse -
Re:Re:help for two trojan viruses

In reply to: Re:help for two trojan viruses

hi Marianna, thanks for the tips but i cannot open the cleaner or any other program on my computer...i went to the task manager but did not see anything suspicious looking.. if you have any other thoughts on the matter please let me know.. i appreciate your help, mark

Collapse -
Re:help for two trojan viruses

In reply to: Re:Re:help for two trojan viruses

Mark,

is there any way you can update AVG?? It seems an updated AVG can HEAL it. (downloader,small.6.I)

another "thought" can you go into SAFEMODE and run The Cleaner??

Do you know WHERE these nasties are? IN which folder?

Trojan.Natspammer = Backdoor.Webdor.b [Kaspersky]

Msvchost.exe - can you SEE that one??

Here is a write-up:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/trojan.natspammer.html

Collapse -
Fixswen.inf might work??

In reply to: Re:help for two trojan viruses

Collapse -
Re:Fixswen.inf might work??

In reply to: Fixswen.inf might work??

iwas not able to update avg, it is now saying it does not recognize the server..i was however able to locate trojans..trojan webdor.B is in sys32\shell32.exe and avg says it has been healed...trojan downloader small6.L is in dload.exe and avg says it is in virus vault...i have downloaded fixswen, cleaner41,reg manager, and i cannot run any of them...i could not find msvchost.exe, but there were many svchost.exe

Collapse -
Re:Fixswen.inf might work??

In reply to: Re:Fixswen.inf might work??

You should have MORE svchost running:

svchost - svchost.exe - Process Information
Process File: svchost or svchost.exe
Process Name: Service Host Process
Description: Application that works as a host process for services that run from dynamic link libraries.
Company: Microsoft Corp.
System Process: Yes
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
Common Errors: N/A

Can you go into SAFEMODE - here is HOW:

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/capture/safemode.html#XP

and try to run fixswen?

If not - could you pls:

Download and run HijackThis - get it here:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Make an EXTRA folder for HJT - like C:\Hijackthis as it makes backups and you want to have them in the same folder.

Unzip, double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Click: "Save Log" (generates: "hijackthis.log")

Next, HijackThis | Config [button] | Misc Tools [button]
Click: Generate StartupList log [button] (generates: "startuplist.txt")

Copy\paste the log in your reply - maybe I can see what we have to remove.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Fixswen.inf might work??

In reply to: Re:Fixswen.inf might work??

mark38, If you downloaded the Fixswen.inf file did you right click it and choose "Install"? That's what you must do to run it. Another possible solution would be to go to the link below, click on Win XP Fixes, click on File Association Fixes, then download the EXE File Association Fix which is a .zip file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. You may also want to download and run the "INF File Association Fix" which after being run should enable you to run the Fixswen.inf file. It's worth a try.

http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

Tufenuf

Collapse -
help for two trojan viruses..

In reply to: help for two trojan viruses

the program.exe is required to open any executable program.

please go to
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

and scroll down to 12. EXE Fix for Windows XP,

click on 'open' and allow it to migrate to your Registry.

re-boot and you should be ok.

please post back if problem persists.

david williams

Collapse -
Re:help for two trojan viruses..

In reply to: help for two trojan viruses..

i just want to thank everyone for their help..i downloaded the EXE fix, then i ran the cleaner and adaware...the cleaner found some malicious code and adaware found some more stuff..i was a little dissapointed that avg6.0 missed so much.. i think i will keep all three just for the heck of it..my programs are all operational and intact...again, thanks to everyone for their help... p.s. should i still put my computer in safe mode and run the cleaner, does it make a difference?

Collapse -
mark38 - THANKS for your feedback !

In reply to: Re:help for two trojan viruses..

Glad your computer is running again Happy

No, you can run The Cleaner in NORMAL mode. Maybe you have seen it has TC Active and TC Monitor ?

Happy Safe Computing Happy

Collapse -
help for two trojan viruses..you might want to bookmark the url. it is quite helpful.

In reply to: Re:help for two trojan viruses..

david

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.