Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Help for Toshiba with Atheros that's not working!

by schoolbound / May 30, 2005 10:17 AM PDT

Hello,

I want to preface this with an apology because I don't know much about computers and about wireless internet devices. For the past 10 months, I have had a Toshiba Satellite A75-S206, and almost from day one the internal wireless card has not worked. It's weird, when I turn on the computer, a message pops up that says that wireless networks are detected. However, the wireless internet never connects to the networks.

At first it didn't bother me because I just used a lan line. But over time it started to get on my nerves. At one point I even called the Toshiba people and, after one hour of trying to explain the situation, was told that I had to reinstall it. Since then the only way I can get the wireless to work is to delete it and reinstall it. I took it to BestBuy and they were of absolutely no help.

Please, help me! I'm heading off to grad school this fall, where the facilities offer wireless internet, and I would really like to see if there is a way to restore this feature so that it comes up on a consistent basis (like, the way it's supposed to!). Otherwise I would have to install an external wireless card, and the thought of that irks me - I already have an internal one that should be working! Can someone please provide some suggestions as to what I can do???

Thank you so much for your help, and I'm sorry for such a long message!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help for Toshiba with Atheros that's not working!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help for Toshiba with Atheros that's not working!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have any connectivity?....
by Michael Geist / May 30, 2005 10:44 AM PDT

a loss of signal after establishing contact, could indicate other environmental issues. Does the access point have any filtering set up?

10 months should be warrantible from Toshiba.

Collapse -
thanks
by schoolbound / May 30, 2005 11:54 AM PDT

Thanks for responding to my inquiry. No, I don't have any connectivity whatsoever. In the past, after restarting the computer over and over again, connectivity would be established and then it would work for some time and then not work. The thing is, I don't know what sorts of environmental issues could be at work because my sister has the same exact model and her wireless works fine.... I am not aware of any filtering set up by the access point, either. How would I find that out?

Collapse -
Your descriptions lead me to suspect hardware failure.....
by Michael Geist / May 30, 2005 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

The only way to prove this is to turn off the onboard wireless NIC and add another wireless networking device. MAC filtering and WEP/WPA encryption are found in the routers setup program, refer to the manual for more in depth instructions.

Collapse -
I think you're right
by schoolbound / May 30, 2005 10:49 PM PDT

I think that you're right, because when it wasn't working before, my dad installed an external wireless card and it worked perfectly. I guess I will have to look at the manual as you suggested. I'm sorry, but what is MAC filtering and WEP/WPA encryption?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
what is MAC filtering and WEP/WPA encryption?
by Michael Geist / May 30, 2005 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: I think you're right

Tools embedded in the routers software which allow you to restrict access and encrpyt file transmissions over a wireless network. Best to refer to your manual.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?