Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help for IBM PC 300PL with errors

I have a previously owned IBM Personal Computer 300PL, model # 6862 V6U with Windows Me installed. It was originally sold by CDW then later bought by my father on eBay. I never had any problems with the computer not booting Windows until I moved to another state and had the computer connected to the internet through a Roadrunner cable internet connection. Now when the computer is turned on, I cannot get into the setup/configuration by pressing F1 & there is a series of error messages as follows:
162 Configuration Error
The RF-ID Tag has changed.
184 Asset control antenna not detected
System-security - Keyboard is locked.
System-security - Keyboard is Unlocked.
176 The system has been tampered with.
Turn power to your system OFF and then ON.
Your system is now locked.

These messages are followed by 2 beeps.
I previously wrote down this information (Product Data):
Machine Type/Model: 6862V6U
Flash EEPROM Revision Level: NVKT49AUS
Boot Block Revision Level: NV49A
System Board Identifier: I6SK0REL1ZD
System Serial Number: 236KRLZ
System UUID: d6e577d54d6b2212998b00062985ce1c
BIOS Date: 10/18/99
BIOS Mode: Desktop

This information was from the configuration/setup. My fiance had taken the computer to a computer repair shop who said that the motherboard is no good and that he could not fix it. He also did not know what the RFID is and had not heard of it. Also, after we got the computer back from him, it no longer has the RFID in the computer. He claimed that there was a piece of the computer that was broken in 2 that he threw away......that is not true because nothing in the computer was broken in 2 when it was taken to his shop. Can you tell me what the problem really is (if not the motherboard as he says), and what to do about it? I appreciate any help! If you need further information, just ask.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help for IBM PC 300PL with errors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help for IBM PC 300PL with errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Found this

In reply to: Help for IBM PC 300PL with errors

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.