General discussion

help for buying new dSLR...

hi,
i want to buy new dSLR camera. this will be my first SLR camera. i am buying this just for hobby. i am not taking photography as profession. my interests are landscape photography, family portraits and some macro photography. after doing lot of reviews i came to following conclusion (i hope,they are right!) - i need entry level dSLR...from canon...i came down to rebel xsi (450d) vs. rebel t1i (500d). after reviewing my needs and comparing prices, i decided that it is not worth for me to put more money in t1i as only advantage to me was video capability that is only 20fps at 1080p. and then canon released rebel t2i (550d). that increased my confusion. comparing specs, t2i is definately better that xsi. but higher pixel values, more ISO range, new digic 4 processor - is it realy useful for my needs ? now t2i has 1080p video capabilities at 30fps which is realy good. but i found some reviews that states issues with zooming while video shooting and lens noise being recorded during video recording, is it realy true ? so far, CNET has not put full review of t2i (which i don't understand why?) this whole thing left me confused. so help me with my first dSLR.
thanks in advance...

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: help for buying new dSLR...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: help for buying new dSLR...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
some explanations

Don't worry too much about video in a DSLR, especially about zooming while doing video. You have to manual focus the video unless you hit the focusing button each time you want it to focus, it doesn't do auto focus tracking.

T2i vs the XSI is a decent comparison. From the review I read, the T2i has improved upon areas such as white balance and exposure metering. The megapixels is a wash unless you buy lens that can resolve 18MP.

Truthfully, if you find a great deal on the XSI and spend the extra money on lenses then the XSI is a better choice. The difference in lenses make a bigger difference in image quality.

- Collapse -
re:

thanks, kalel33.
that's what i was thinking. now xsi kit includes EF-S 18-55 IS lens. i think that won't be enough for my needs. what would be other good lens that i should invest.
thanks.

- Collapse -
it can vary

The best choice for a replacement for the 18-55IS lens is the 17-55IS F2.8 but that'll run you close to $1000. Tamron has come out with the 17-50VC F2.8 that runs around $700, it has the image quality but not the speed or build and the image stabilization hasn't been tested. Either of those will be very good for family photos but not necessarily great portrait shots. For portrait shots you'd look at the 85mm F1.8 or any of the 70-200 F2.8 lens by Sigma, Canon, or Tamron.

If you like to wide angle landscape then look at the Canon 10-22mm, Tokina 11-16mm, or Sigma is coming out with an 8-16mm. All of those are pretty expensive.

For macro, read this
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Macro-Lens.aspx
One other option with macro is to go the cheaper route, with the 60mm macro F2.8.

You'll find that this is an expensive hobby. If you bought the cheapest choices of the landscape, portait, 18-55IS replacement, and macro that I recommended you'd still be pushing close to $2000 and still wouldn't have a telephoto lens in your arsenal, which a good, not great, will run over $500. If you wanted to cut down the prices a little then you could use the 60mm macro F2.8 for portraits too, but the 85mm F1.8 is better for portraits. You could just buy one lenses every so often, like like I do every couple of years.

No matter what lenses you buy, you won't get the shots you're looking for unless you do the harder part of learning(maybe taking a class or two) and practice....a lot. You'll be disappointed a lot but it gets better as you learn and practice more.

- Collapse -
D-SLR

The HD video option is a nice bonus to have but if your budget is tight, then it is not necessary to have. The D-SLR HD video is still quite rudimentary, AF does not work fast enough to be useful in video mode. A HD camcorder will be much easier to use, and has superior sound quality to D-SLR.

The lens choice will depend on your budget. For those with tighter budget, the 18-55mm IS kit lens can be adequate for landscape and travel general photography, especially when you are starting out. The EF 70-200mm f/4L is a pretty nice tele lens that can be used for sports, portraits and wildlife. If you like macro, the EF 100mm f/2.8 macro lens is a very good macro lens that can also do portraits. If you like night shots, the 50mm f/1.4 lens is a very popular lens with good quality. One thing you should definitely get is an external bounce flash, either the 430ex II or 580ex II speedlite (with a diffuser). Another thing you should definitely get is a sturdy tripod (the lighter they are the more expensive they get).

For those who have a generous budget and do not want to carry a tripod, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS works great for landscape, night shots, and even portrait (at the 55mm end). The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS will be an excellent complement for sports, wildlife, and also for portraits. These 2 lenses are not macro or closeup lenses, but they can take very good flower and art photos without problem. If you really need a dedicated macro lens, then the EF 100mm f/2.8L IS works great.

- Collapse -
Re : D-SLR

thanks a lot. that realy helped. i think, i will stick with xsi with 18-55 IS kit (as i might find a good deal on it) and then invest in two more lens - for macro and telephoto. i think, for beginner like me - who is not taking photography as profession, this will be good start.

- Collapse -
EF 55-250 IS

how is EF 55-250 IS ? i know it is not a fast lens but i found some deals which includes xsi and EF 18-55 IS and EF 55-250 IS. is it worth buying ?

- Collapse -
For a beginner

The 55-250IS lens is a decent consumer lens and is highly regarded by those that are new and own it.

- Collapse -
mid range tele lens

Its build and image quality is similar to the 18-55mm IS kit lens. Although you can do quite okay with the 18-55mm IS kit lens, the small aperture and slower performance will affect you more noticeably in the tele lens. Most people use tele lens for sports, wildlife and closeup portraits. In bright daylight, the 55-250mm IS lens may do okay, but may have problem with faster actions or dimmer lighting. It also does not have as much bokeh effect nor as sharp as the 70-200mm f/4L lens.

The 70-200mm f/4L will be better for actions and closeup portraits than the 55-250mm IS lens. However, if your budget is tight and you are happy with the 18-55mm IS kit lens quality, then having the 55-250mm IS lens will be better than waiting for a year to buy a higher quality lens. The 55-250mm focal length is very useful, you may miss a lot of photo opportunities while waiting to buy a lens in this focal range. You can always upgrade later if you outgrow this lens.

- Collapse -
thanks.

thank you so much. it helped a lot.

- Collapse -
DSLR video capability

Here is additional link that pretty much summed up the compromises of DSLR video capability against HD camcorder. Hope this helps.

CNET Forums