Computer Help forum

Question

Help Fixing Windows XP Tower

by Tomat0Man / February 18, 2013 7:20 AM PST

I've used this computer for 2 months and I didn't do anything but remove my AVG Anti-Virus and try to install my Star-Trek game. I have a copy of Windows XP
Service Pack 3, not burnt or anything, legitimate CD.

I bought the computer for 100$ and it won't boot to windows. Here is the steps I take:

1. Turn on Computer, goes to Windows XP Screen with the blue bar loading.
2. After about 30 seconds, goes to DELL Window, I can press F2 or F12.
3. Goes to "Safe Mode" or "Start windows normally" window, says "We apologize for the incovenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
4. Select start windows normally
5. Goes to WIndows XP Screen with the blue bar loading.
6. Wait 30 seconds.
7. Goes to dell window.
8. 2 seconds.
9. Goes to #3.
10. Select safe mode.
11. Executes a bunch of files from multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers
12. Goes to Dell screen.
13. 2 Seconds
14. Safe mode with command prompt.
15. Executes a bunch of files from multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers
16. Goes to Dell screen.
17. 2 Seconds
18. Select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked).
19. Windows XP screen with the blue bar loading.
20. Dell screen, press F12.
21.Goes to Boot device Menu. Options: 1. Normal 2. Primary Master Drive 3. Diskette Drive 4. Hard-DIsk Drive C: 5. IDE CD-ROM Device 6. System Setup 7. IDE Drive Diagnostics 8. Boot to Utility Partition
22. Select Option 1 (Obviously won't work considering it's not "normal" at all.)
23.Goes to We Apologize For the Inconvenience screen. Start windows normally.
24. Windows XP Screen, blue bar. 10 Minutes. Nothing, press power button.
25. Goes to blue Windows XP Screen saying "Checking file system on c: the type of the file system is NTFS. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency...:" then it spasms quickly a bunch of "Deleted corrupt attribute list entry with type code 128 in file 16115." x 2 "Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, " " ) from file segment 49074, 49075, 49085, 49090, 49091, 4733."
File Record segment 31964, 31965, 31966, 31967, 31968, 31969, 31970, 31971, 31972, 31973, 31974, 31975, 36612, 36613, 36614, 36616, 36812, 36813, 36814, 36816, and the list goes on to the 50,000+ is unreadable.

26. After this went through, File Verification complete, deleting orphan file record segment 49086. Correcting cross-link for file 45169. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (Stage 2 of 3)..... Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 25. x 6 File Record Segment 32257.
27. An unspecified error occurred.
28. Boots into windows.
29. Windows is starting up...
30. Click an account on the computer
31. Windows is shutting down...
32. Computer shuts down.
33. Start back up.
34. Dell 2 seconds.
35. Windows Loading Screen. 10 seconds.
36. Restarts.
37. Dell 2 seconds.
38. We Apologize.

*** is going on here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help Fixing Windows XP Tower
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help Fixing Windows XP Tower
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you tried the IDE drive diagnostics ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 19, 2013 3:34 PM PST

noted by you in this step?

21.Goes to Boot device Menu. Options: 1. Normal 2. Primary Master Drive 3. Diskette Drive 4. Hard-DIsk Drive C: 5. IDE CD-ROM Device 6. System Setup 7. IDE Drive Diagnostics 8. Boot to Utility Partition

Also, I'm not sure just what utilities are available but you might see what is there. A complete CHECK DISK could well do the trick.

Formatting with a retail disk or anything other than the computer's restore discs will eliminate all of the Dell specific utilities and you will need to download all the proper drivers for the specific computer.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds Like The Hard Drive Is Failing...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 8:25 AM PST

The "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency..." message seems to indicate such. If you've got the same version of XP on the disc that's on the computer, you could try running a "repair" install of Windows which would replace damaged system files....... but since it's only a $100 computer, who knows what problems may lie inside after the repair is done and since the hard drive may be failing, it's not a sure thing... Replacing the hard drive would be a better option and might get it done, but spending money on a new hard drive when the motherboard could fail at any time, may not be the best option. It's your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
I'd do full format & reinstall XP
by wpgwpg / February 18, 2013 8:41 AM PST

You obviously have corrupt system files and hard drive problems. I'd boot from the XP install disc and let it format the drive, then reinstall XP. As soon as it's installed I'd run chkdsk and let it check for and attempt repair of bad sectors. As Grif says, on a $100 used computer who knows what problems it could have. It could have any number of hardware related problems in addition to the XP ones, but I'd give the steps I mentioned a shot.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Formatting
by Tomat0Man / February 18, 2013 8:59 AM PST

1. Boot from CD (press any button, pressed space bar)
2. Windows Set-up (Set-up is loading files)
3. Through the options, I select not to repair, and to format the partition.
4. Please wait while setup formats the partition C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 38139 MB ( 18683 mb free) on 38147 mb disk 0 at id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR].

I've been here for about, 5 minutes and still at 0%. Do you think it froze? How long should I give it?

Collapse -
Dell disks
by pgc3 / February 19, 2013 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Formatting

IF this is/was a DELL system and you are using aftermarket media therein lies at least a part of the problem. The easiest way to deal with the issue would be to get the DELL OEM media, if you can, you would have a much easier time of it. But as was mentioned by others, it is a 100.00 computer, who knows what was done when and why.

Collapse -
(NT) If The Drive Won't Format... Then It Indicates A Bad HD
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Formatting
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.