Windows 8 forum

Question

Help fix-Toshiba "Checking Media" then "No Bootable Device"

I have a Toshiba Satellite L875D-S7332 with Windows 8 that a friend gave to me. The warranty, if it even had one, has expired. The laptop suffered a jolt. I didn't think it was very hard, but evidently it caused a lot of problems. The issue came up a couple months ago and I gave up trying to fix it because it won't even start.

When powered on, the welcome screen shows "TOSHIBA, Leading Innovation" then a black screen with "Checking Media - Failed" then another black screen with "No Bootable Device -- Please Restart System" I have tried almost everything! I have read so many forums, watched multiple videos, and did a lot of research to troubleshoot, all with no success.

If you are kind enough to offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it, but please be aware of the following attempts that I have tried.
, no computer that I plugged the H.D. into recognized it. It is a 650GB H.D. so I would be VERY disappointed if it is dead. I just don't know how to confirm this and I feel like there HAS to be a way to fix this!

I removed the hard drive (H.D.) from the back of the laptop and then I purchased a USB adapter for the SATA H.D. to test it on another computer. After going through 3 different adapters to make sure it was not faulty

I can NOT access the recovery partition, which would be accessed by pressing the 0 (Zero) key and then pressing the power key to turn on the computer, or even Setup or SafeMode. I can ONLY access the BIOS screen, so I tried to change the BOOT MODE to CSM BOOT from UEFI BOOT (one forum suggested it and it worked for them). I was able to change this and restarted the computer, as instructed, BUT I get another error message "PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM. No Bootable Device -- Insert boot disk and press any key." The problem is I do not have a Boot Disk. I wonder if I use a Flash Drive with install files for Windows 7, since the computer originally had Windows 8, if this would work. This is currently my most viable option that I can see. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions that I have not tried.

How can I fix this problem? If I have to buy a new hard drive, how do I get the recovery partition back? Do I have to manually make one? Is it possible to recover the data on this hard drive if it is in fact dead? This is the computer I ran my business on. Thankfully I had those files backed up, but did not have a proper backup/restore point established.

Thank you in advance for any help, info, or solutions offered!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help fix-Toshiba "Checking Media" then "No Bootable Device"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help fix-Toshiba "Checking Media" then "No Bootable Device"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
New harddrive won't help.

In reply to: Help fix-Toshiba "Checking Media" then "No Bootable Device"

It's very likely the OS partition is corrupted. Your best bit is to get an installation disc from Toshiba..how much I have no idea. I have a Lenovo which has a similar issue but I can seem to get to them to price such a disc. But hope you have better luck with your situation. However, I have seen OEM disc going for about $80 when on sale or maybe $102 dollars from B&H for a full version.

Collapse -
Install Windows 7 instead?

In reply to: New harddrive won't help.

I agree that the OS is corrupted, or the harddrive itself is dead, which is where the OS is located. I feel like it just needs replaced because no other computer will recognize it with the proper adapters. I have install disc for Windows 7, so I will try to install that on the current harddrive and if that doesn't work, I will replace the harddrive. I will provide updates as I go about these attempts.

There HAS been a slight complication however. I was exploring the inside of the laptop, and I am always very careful, and I keep track of every screw so it can be put back together the exact same way it was originally. Well... this particular time, even tho I was extremely careful, there was a clip that was extremely fragile. This clip secured the keyboard wire/ribbon. The clip broke into 2 pieces and can not be fixed. I do not know where to find a replacement, the same size, type, And I don't even know what to call it.... Any help would be REALLY appreciated! I will do my best to post a pic, or if I can't post pics on here, I'll provide a link to where where I post the pic on another website. I feel like I should create a new thread in a different category for this separate issue...I may.

Collapse -
Answer
test harddrive

In reply to: Help fix-Toshiba "Checking Media" then "No Bootable Device"

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.