HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Help - first time notebook buyer

by springchild74 / November 5, 2004 1:16 AM PST

Hi - Please help me choose the right laptop for me. I'm thinking of buying a new laptop around the price of $1700. I'm not a technical person and only need a solid computer for a lot of emailing, websurfing, Excel and Word usage, DVD movies. I am replacing my old desktop with Win98 that clashes on me all the time. I would like to have a large screen, at least 14in. across. I also would like a decent speed for webbrowsing - and for switching across different programs. The laptop will probably stay at home most of the times, but occasioanlly, maybe a couple of times a week, I would like to take it with me for my classes so that I can take notes on the laptop. So I want it to be reasonably portable as well. I'm a small framed female and I am not very friendly with chiropractor yet.

Thanks for your help!

Springchild74

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - first time notebook buyer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - first time notebook buyer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help - first time notebook buyer
by belladonna49 / November 5, 2004 1:36 AM PST

Hi Springchild74. I just purchased my first laptop and I am so excited. I am definitedly a kid with a new toy. I purchased mine for the exact reasons you stated you are buying one. I purchased the IBM ThinkPad T42 the costs was $1,599.99 + 69.99 + $179.99=approximately $1800.00 with the instant rebate of $100.00 at that time. It is only 4.9 lbs not heavy at all. Go to IBM.com and you can check out all of the other excellent features, and they have 24/7 customer service. Good Luck with your decision.

Collapse -
14inch iBook woould be PERFECT
by 19877542544404221679077984052348-freebe / November 5, 2004 2:56 AM PST

This will do everything you need and more.
Microsoft office for the Mac has a great note taking utility..it looks like a notepad.. organizes in outline form ...and you can record the lecture through it!
http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/office/

It is $149 through the AppleStore for education...but most campuses have a deal where you can get it for about $30 or free.

http://www.apple.com/ibook/

Collapse -
Re: 14inch iBook woould be PERFECT
by 19877542544404221679077984052348-freebe / November 5, 2004 3:02 AM PST

I forgot to give you the specs on the iBook:

$1,499.00

1.33GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive (Burns CDs and DVDs)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in (Wireless)

In addition you get a tone of free applications. I know a lot of students (myself included) that have iBooks/PowerBooks...and compatibility is not an issue. Office for the mac saves and reads Word/PowerPoint/Excel the same way windows versions do.
In addition, University networks are ripe with viruses and such...you will not have those problems with a Mac.

Collapse -
by springchild74 / November 5, 2004 4:34 AM PST

I used to use Mac but when the school I attended previously started to lost all the Mac support I switched to PC - I had a serious problem getting my work done on my Mac.

Now I'm at another school, Mac support does not seem bad - however, I'm afraid that I will have to busy a whole new suit of softwares again from scratch - MS Office, Endnotes, etc .... considering that, Mac $1400 tops easily $300-400.

Sigh. I know, I love Mac somewhere in my heart.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 5, 2004 6:07 AM PST

Springchild:

If you want to have maxiumum battery life and also want the lightest notebook possible for whatever LCD size you choose (in the PC realm -- Apple of course does both also very well) get a Pentium M (Centrino) notebook.

If you will not play any demanding games and will not be video editing or using any high end video programs (Autocad, Photoshop, etc) you can get away with shared/integrated video memory. If so, the brand new HP DV1000 was modeled after Apple and it becoming very popular. It is 5.3 pounds and you can play DVD's and CD's with the power to the computer turned off (and there is a built in remote control and 2 headsets in the front for watching DVD's on an airplane with a date or friend! (or CD audio).

If you want a larger LCD (15.4" widescreen) and dedicated video memory (needed for games and more demanding video programs) look at the HPZT3000 or sister Compaq X1000 (all of these are at hpshopping.com).

I have one of these (Compaq X1000) and love it for mostly home use and wi-fi -- and it fits easily in a notebook backpack from Targus (or other brands that will hold a 15" screen) for travel.

Also, there are a ton of discounts you can get by custom ordering at hpshopping (and getting exactly what you want):

$100 custom order rebate good through 12/1/04, 6% APP student discount if qualified (college in US), 12% EPP employer discount if offered at your company, 3% fat cash portal discount, etc -- see X1000forums.com for information on discounts and best order specifications and they mention there where the forum is for the DV1000 as well.

If you like the size of the Apple Ibook the HP DV1000 will give you basically the same size and weight and with the new DVD/CD functions (and remote control which slides into the PC card slot when not in use).

Battery life for either of these will be at least 3.5-4 hours if using broadband via wi-fi (your home DSL or cable with a router or at Starbucks or at your campus) and longer if the wi-fi is turned off (Microsoft office, etc). DVD/CD playing should be longer on the DV1000 as you don't have to boot up the computer but on the ZT3000/X1000 it is about 3.5-4 hours also.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.