General discussion

Help finding a 40-42" LCD!

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions on a 40-42" LCD TV. I'd proabally spend max $750 but the cheaper the better Grin! I only need 720p, it'll be for basic TV watching, not a hard core gamer or movie connoisseur.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help finding a 40-42" LCD!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help finding a 40-42" LCD!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Also!

Can you also provide cheaper selections for a 40-42" LCD TV? and justify why you would suggest the more expensive model?

Note: I'm in college and the less money I spend the better. Is it a bad idea to just get a cheap Insignia from Best Buy? and why?
Thanks!

- Collapse -
Bump

Anyone?

- Collapse -
Cheap TV

You've said it yourself, you want the cheapest you can find. And you are posting that you want someone else to find it for you? Odd request, so few responses.

You already have your answer - find the cheapest TV, then buy it. If the Best Buy Insignia is the cheapest - there's your answer. Try Costco too, they're notorious for cheap. And Wal Mart.

Morgan Harman
The Tech Source
Home Theaters and more? in Southern California.
Lic.# 849004

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums. Please use your CNET profile for such. Thanks!

- Collapse -
Wow

Such a dignified answer from someone with experience in the industry <groan>. Why even bother? The least you could have done is recommend something specific. You've never had clients working within a tight budget?

To the OP> $750 is a pretty decent budget to have to skimp on picture quality. I'd suggest you avoid Dynex/Insignia and other off brands like the plague if you are on a typical college budget and won't be able to afford repairs down the road. With a name brand at least you get a higher chance of actually being able to find parts & service if necessary when the warranty expires, etc. Also, if you ever require the retail store do a substitution/replacment, replacing a Sony (etc.) for another Sony is always preferable for crappy generic models.

You can quickly find a 40" Sony Bravia KDL40EX400 at Best Buy that fits the bill. It's even 1080p. Ditto for Panasonic (42") TC-L42U22 & Samsung LN40C530F1F (40"), if you visit the web site right now and limit to 40"+ LCD models. IME the Panasonic has a better viewing angle of those three if that means anything to your decision making process. PQ will not be stellar, especially compared to more expensive backlit LED models, but for a college budget, it's all good. By all means go into the store and view them with your own eyes for lengthy amounts of time to help make the right choice for your specific requirements. Ask to game on them if you need help deciding.

- Collapse -
Thanks!

Hey Pepe!

Thanks for the reply. Yea that guys above was rather unprofessional I was going to comment but it wasn't worth my time. You gave me exactly what I was looking for. Information about what to look for and some suggestions. I'd rather hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about rather than research for hours on end about whats best ect.

Thanks again!

- Collapse -
Can you shop at Costco?

I saw a number of very good sets at Costco recently in your price range, such as the Panasonic Plasma 42" 720p. Also, for an LCD, I think they still carry the Toshiba Regza models, which I have and am very happy with, and the Toshiba's are 1080p. Costco also carries lower-priced brands, but the good thing about Costco is that they cover your purchase for 2 years, which is worth a good night's sleep.

- Collapse -
Dan nailed it...

My suggestion for Costco or Walmart was not sarcastic. It was my suggestion. I happen to also be someone that installs for a living - which I realize often comes with an attitude. I can see how my post came off that way, but I was only meaning it as a literal recommedation. As installers we are more and more frequently finding our customers buying their TV's from Costco.

I don't usually recommend specific models without more information.

Any who - you got what you were looking for, Pepe seems to have covered it.

Cheers

Morgan Harman
without a reference to company web site
The Tech Source

CNET Forums